Author Topic: Fish Bio  (Read 898 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Fish Bio
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:48:28 PM »

Who Are You: Aaron Fisher (everyone calls me Fish)

Home Town (City, State): Everywhere USA, Active Duty Army

Homebrew Club: Not involved in one right now. I am getting ready to move up to Fairbanks, Alaska and want to start one at Fort Wainwright.

I've been a homebrewer since: Spring 2013

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? Absolutely! So I brewed an Old Stock Ale on a Thursday night. My family and I decided to go up to Northern Colorado to do some duck hunting with family. I put the carboy in our spare room because it stays really cool and dark in there. Well when we got home on Sunday evening there was yeast everywhere. It was on the walls, the ceiling, carpet, window blinds and of course all over a pair of my wife’s brand new pair of shoes. She hasn’t let me forget about it either.

What is your favorite style(s) to brew? My favorite styles to brew are Brown Ales and IPA’s. It is what I drink the most of and I dedicate about 80% of my brewing efforts making the best examples of the style that I can.

What style(s) will you never brew? Who would do this? It doesn’t seem like a good idea.

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out? So when I bought my starter kit I bought the German Wheat extract kit. Everything went great but I didn’t seal the lid on bucket very well and it tasted like band-aids. Still to this day I cannot stand the smell band-aids. Every time my kid needs one my wife has to do it.

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? When I first started brewing beer all of my friends wanted to come over. We were making an IPA ( this was also right after I made the switch to all grain) and I lost the recipe after the mash. We just decided to throw all 4 hops in at 60 min, 30 min and at flame out. The beer was fantastic.

What is your favorite beer recipe?
Are you a BJCP Judge?  Not yet!
Describe your brew system. I have homemade kettle, Blichman burner, several carboys, buckets and a 10 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler.

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)? 3-4 times a month

If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him? If I could on give one beer to someone it would have to be Thomas Jefferson. He himself was a home brewer and I’m sure he would love a good IPA

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? Un-sulfured Molasses
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? I have one lonely Silver medal from my Brown Ale I won last winter.

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? I brew with everyone. My kids help me all the time, my wife, other family and friends.

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? I do both. When I am making my small 1-2 gallon batch’s its all inside. Anything bigger and I am outside. By the way Colorado Springs ground water in January makes for fast cooling of wort.

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite? Bitter ol’ Basterd (Imperial IPA), Fishers Brown, Clove Grove (Hefe), Irish Red Head

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Fish Bio
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:04:30 PM »
Welcome Fish   ;) 
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:12:26 AM »
Welcome Fish, and thanks for your service. 

I was in Fairbanks recently.  I really enjoyed it... but it was during the peak of Summer.  I found two breweries: Silver Gulch which has been there for some time and has GREAT food, and Hoodoo Brewing Co. which is new.  I liked them both.  Hoodoo is in town while Silver Gulch is about 20 minutes out as I recall.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time in the Great North!
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:40:34 PM »
Welcome, Fish!

I agree with your choice of Thomas Jefferson for the famous person you'd most like to serve your beer. I recently visited Monticello and was impressed that he was a beer man, though it seems that his wife did most of the brewing until they hired a brewer. But imagine serving him the type and quality of the beer we are brewing today. That would be so cool.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »
Greetings Fish! I think Jefferson is an interesting choice too. Spending an afternoon with him and a few beers would be an amazing learning experience.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 12:12:27 AM »
Welcome Fish! and thank you for your service!

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:03:37 AM »
Thanks guys!