Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY3522/WLP550 in the absence of temp control  (Read 2536 times)

Derek

WY3522/WLP550 in the absence of temp control
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:05:15 pm »
I am interested in brewing my first Belgian. I have done much research on all grain brewing including malt analysis, equations for various parameters, etc. I have come to the conclusion that in the absence of a means of temp control I will try the Achouffe yeast due to its tolerance of higher fermentation temperatures.

I anticipate that if I pitch cooler and it rises into the low to mid 70's that I can still get a cleaner, maltier beer than I could with the Chimay, Rochefort or Westmalle yeasts at similar temperatures.

Any thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: WY3522/WLP550 in the absence of temp control
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 12:20:22 pm »
"Tolerance" is a rather wide open term.  Sure, you can ferment it at higher temps, but will it give you what you want and not what you don't want?  I prefer to run 3522 about 63F and never more than 65, at least for the first 4-5 days.  Higher than that and I get banana esters I don't care for, along woth a hint of bubblegum.  It may be cleaner than the others in a relative way, but that still doesn't mean that is will be pleasant.  And y also have fusels to think about at those temps.  Try a Cheap'n'Easy fermenter temp control.....i.e., tub of water with ice packs.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:22:31 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Derek

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:24:35 pm »
I should have prefaced that statement with the fact that I was speculating given the yeast manufacturer's data.

I'm trying to find a way to control temp on a low budget. I get my basement family room to stay at or around 65 deg F even during the summer and it never increases past 70 deg F even on the hottest days. That does not account for internal temperature of the wort as it ferments.

I have read tons of info on fridges, ferm chambers, swamp coolers, etc. I was trying to find an out by using a yeast that may fare better with no control!

I'm lazy and cheap!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:36:57 pm »
Try a Cheap'n'Easy fermenter temp control.....i.e., tub of water with ice packs.

+1.  Works well.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:47:22 pm »
Try a Cheap'n'Easy fermenter temp control.....i.e., tub of water with ice packs.

+1.  Works well.

This is true.

As an addendum to Denny's comments, I would let the fermentation temp free rise after the first few days to make sure you get full attenuation.  Particularly so if you're making a bigger beer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Derek

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:30:16 pm »
It shouldnt take much ice to keep it cool for 24-48 hours. The nook under my basement stairs stays about 60-65 deg F all summer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 02:38:09 pm »
I should have prefaced that statement with the fact that I was speculating given the yeast manufacturer's data.

Sometimes that's accurate and sometimes it's not.  In general, all yeast manufacturers state temps that I find are higher than I think makes good beer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:38:46 pm »
It shouldnt take much ice to keep it cool for 24-48 hours. The nook under my basement stairs stays about 60-65 deg F all summer.

To be safe, try to control for at least 72-96 hours.

www.dennybrew.com