Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beating a herd of dead dry-hops  (Read 2152 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
beating a herd of dead dry-hops
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:37:22 am »
OK folks, for most of you this is like beating a herd of dead horses, but I'm a poor Belgian, and the IPA's I've been brewing so far do not yet have the quality that I want (unfortunately this also applies to the majority of commercial IPA's that one finds in Belgium). This time I'm brewing an IPA with +200 grams of hops for 10 liters of beer, so I want the best possible result for the bucks. Do you:

1. cold-crash before dry-hopping
2. rack to secondary before dry-hopping
3. cold-crash after dry-hopping
4. use some other dry-hopping magic (if yes, please explain  :P )

Please respond massively so that the results become statistically significant.

Thanks in advance.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: beating a herd of dead dry-hops
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:40:40 am »
My procedure has evolved to racking to secondary before dry hopping.  Cold crashing before that is something I sometimes do, sometimes don't do.  Can't tell a lot of difference so far.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:44:39 am »
Thanks, Denny! The answers are now almost statistically relevant!
Frank P.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:05:07 pm »
Pretty much like Denny - I will cold crash and then dry hop if I remember to do it, but don't sweat it if I dry hop warm then crash.  I cannot tell any difference in the hops that way, but what I do with my (Denny's) rye IPA, is I dry hop with an ounce of pellets divided between two stainless tea balls and leave the tea balls in for the whole shebang until the keg blows - it has been fine for me.  But a caveat - I have a bunch of visitors who drain kegs quickly, so it's not like the beer sticks around for more than a few weeks, typically.

And as always YMMV.  So statistics are probably like Mark Twain said ...at least on this aspect!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:35:33 pm »
I dry hop  @ room temp in keg and leave the hops in until the keg kicks, too.
Jon H.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:40:21 pm »
If I plan on keeping the yeast I will crash before transferring.  If not, I'll just toss them in and let it go.
Run then beer.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 12:57:48 pm »
If I plan on keeping the yeast I will crash before transferring.  If not, I'll just toss them in and let it go.

Ah yes, stupid me, I want to keep the yeast as well!
Frank P.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:06:06 pm »
Since I use cheap 05 for most of my clean hoppy American styles I don't worry about saving the cake so I simply wait for fermentation to complete, dry hop in primary, cold crash for a few days after and keg. Works well with no discernible loss of aroma.

In certain cases or just for the hell of it I will also dry hop in the keg but not very often. I've also found that using a lot of late addition and steeping hops really helps retain a lot of the hop aroma profile and have actually been able to reduce some of the dry hop quantity as a result. For example, I have found in my IPA I like 2oz at flame out with a 20 minute whirlpool/steep and 3oz of dry hop vs the 5oz of dry hop I used to do for 5 days in a 5 gallon batch. YMMV :)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »
Since I use cheap 05 for most of my clean hoppy American styles I don't worry about saving the cake so I simply wait for fermentation to complete, dry hop in primary, cold crash for a few days after and keg. Works well with no discernible loss of aroma.

In certain cases or just for the hell of it I will also dry hop in the keg but not very often. I've also found that using a lot of late addition and steeping hops really helps retain a lot of the hop aroma profile and have actually been able to reduce some of the dry hop quantity as a result. For example, I have found in my IPA I like 2oz at flame out with a 20 minute whirlpool/steep and 3oz of dry hop vs the 5oz of dry hop I used to do for 5 days in a 5 gallon batch. YMMV :)

Everything you said is pretty much exactly what I have found to work best for me. I have only dry hopped in the keg after normal dry hopping when I feel more is needed. I am however considering switching to dry hopping exclusively in the keg...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »
I've also found that using a lot of late addition and steeping hops really helps retain a lot of the hop aroma profile and have actually been able to reduce some of the dry hop quantity as a result.

Yeah, I agree, especially with the steeping hops. It definitely retains more aroma to me, especially compared to late kettle hopping only. I've cut back a little on dry hops for most styles, though IPA still gets a pretty good dose.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:26:34 pm »

This is pretty much what I do, with the exception of hop quantities for an IPA :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 03:02:24 pm »
My procedure has evolved to racking to secondary before dry hopping.  Cold crashing before that is something I sometimes do, sometimes don't do.  Can't tell a lot of difference so far.

+1 here we've done this as well but lately just been racking to secondary and drying hopping to speed up the process. However, we will sometimes crash after the dry hopping for 12-24 hours then keg.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 04:59:53 pm »
OK, so this is what I have done / am doing:
- cold-crashed for 2 days
- racked the beer to secondary and harvested the yeast (Denny's favorite)
- dry-hopped for 7 days
- added 2nd batch of dry hops (1/4 of original amount) for three days
- tomorrow I'll start cold-crashing again 2-3 days, and then will bottle

Thanks for the help!
Frank P.

Offline f.stepanski

• 1st Kit
  • I'm a beer drinker with a woodturning problem
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 06:55:21 pm »
I'm a new brewer who recently read the "Hops" book, it mentioned addign hops post boil vs dry hopping..  I've read several articles on same..    https://byo.com/hops/item/2808-hop-stands   http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php and a thread on homebrew talk http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=278559 

I did a whirlpool hop add post boil on my last IIPA which is fermenting now, the Aroma is heavenly, hope it lasts....
Black IPA & Hefeweizen on draft, fermenting an APA...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 06:53:26 am »
I'm a new brewer who recently read the "Hops" book, it mentioned addign hops post boil vs dry hopping..  I've read several articles on same..    https://byo.com/hops/item/2808-hop-stands   http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php and a thread on homebrew talk http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=278559 

I did a whirlpool hop add post boil on my last IIPA which is fermenting now, the Aroma is heavenly, hope it lasts....
I find that whirlpool hops last way longer than dry hops. Dry hops seem to fade in weeks to a month, but I've had IPA's with good hop flavor/aroma for 6 months or more when using lots of whirlpool/hop stand hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer