Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Coming....Now What?  (Read 3339 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Keg Coming....Now What?
« on: April 24, 2015, 07:59:52 pm »
OK, got a keg and CO2 tank coming shortly. I need some guidance on the preferred type of regulator, dual or single gauge? Secondly, for now, I plan on just using a picnic faucet assembly. Is there anything else I'll need at this point?

I am going to be using my existing chest freezer as a dual use chamber at this point. When the fermentation is over, I'll be throwing the keg in there.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Keg Coming....Now What?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:40:32 pm »
OK, got a keg and CO2 tank coming shortly. I need some guidance on the preferred type of regulator, dual or single gauge? Secondly, for now, I plan on just using a picnic faucet assembly. Is there anything else I'll need at this point?

I am going to be using my existing chest freezer as a dual use chamber at this point. When the fermentation is over, I'll be throwing the keg in there.

prefer the dual because you see whats in the tank and line pressure, but again just go with what you want at this point. other than that, you are good to go and ready to enter the kegging arena.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:42:05 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:54:01 pm »

prefer the dual because you see whats in the tank and line pressure, but again just go with what you want at this point. other than that, you are good to go and ready to enter the kegging arena.

+1.  Eventually you'll need to get o-ring change kits and keg lube to ensure you get a good seal, but I'm assuming this keg should have new seals. I would use a thin layer of keg lube on the new seals - nothing is worse than a small air leak that drains your CO2 tank or keeps beer from carbonating fully.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:21 pm »
Did you go new or used keg?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 04:13:59 am »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:06:49 am »
Dual regulator.

I used cobra taps for nearly eight years until landing a proper kegerator with a tower. Realize now that I wasn't really missing anything.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 05:18:21 am »
I would spring for the thumb adjust out pressure rather than the flat screwdriver/hex nut style

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 06:56:50 am »
I would spring for the thumb adjust out pressure rather than the flat screwdriver/hex nut style

Yeah, had planned that.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 07:01:30 am »
I know I'll need a couple of quick disconnects, and some lines as well. Why are there so many options here?
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/couplers/balllock.shtml

Do you also need some sort of clips or clamps for the gas/ beer lines?

I'm considering non-PVC tubing. I see they sell stuff like this http://www.morebeer.com/products/ultra-barrier-silver-antimicrobial-pvc-free-beer-tubing-516-id-foot.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:36:11 am by flbrewer »

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 07:25:14 am »
I know I'll need a couple of quick disconnects, and some lines as well. Why are there so many options here?
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/couplers/balllock.shtml

Do you also need some sort of clips or clamps for the gas/ beer lines?

I use hose clamps on my gas lines because I initially turn the pressure up to about 30 psi to seal the keg and jump-start carbing. Probably belt-and-suspenders, but that's what us anal guys do. I don't use them on beer lines, since they only see serving pressure.

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 02:24:49 pm »
I have a spray bottle that I have filled with Starsan solution made with distilled water.  I spray the picnic tap to clear out residual beer.  It helps keep it clean between servings.

Offline dmfcb750

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 06:44:52 am »
It really depends on whether you arr using the CO2 to push beer or carbonate the kegged beer. I add about a third cup of sugar when kegging and let it sit a couple of weeks then use CO2 to push beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:06 am »
What's going to drive you nuts is when you have to turn in your brand new shiny empty CO2 tank for an old beat up full one. Ask me how i know. Especially if you discover that you paid more for the new one than a deposit would have been.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 11:34:30 am »
I've never swapped a tank. Any place I've been will fill it on the spot, usually. I won't leave the tank or exchange.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 12:48:50 pm »
Yeah I verified that before I ordered one!