Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Crashing  (Read 2281 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Cold Crashing
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 11:44:34 am »
Foil or a solid rubber cork. Or the screw on cap. I just pull the orange bubbler top off and cover the bubbler in foil tightly. Then set my temp to 30. When my temp reaches 30 I add the gelatin, rock the fermenter a little to kinda stir the gel. Then I leave it alone a few days or till I've got time to package.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »
How's that Denny? The Speidels don't seal. Foil?

That or a solid stopper (which is what I use for my buckets.)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 12:22:55 pm »
I just use cheap vodka in my airlocks, doesn't freeze:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 01:01:44 pm »
I typically just cover the hole with a rag soaked in StarSan.  Or leave my blow off tubes in the container under a soaked rag.
Dave Zach

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 01:21:17 pm »
Depending on your airlock you can get suck back from the temp drop and find your airlock nearly empty with its contents in your beer. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Cold Crashing
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 01:51:14 pm »
Depending on your airlock you can get suck back from the temp drop and find your airlock nearly empty with its contents in your beer.
dammit! I'll have to check that shortly. How fast does that happen? Can't imagine you can taste that amount though.

It's the Speidel, don't see that happening w these airlocks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 01:53:19 pm by flbrewer »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 02:18:10 pm »
dammit! I'll have to check that shortly. How fast does that happen? Can't imagine you can taste that amount though.

Not sure, but if using a cooled chamber I'm sure it doesn't take too long.  Hopefully your airlock won't allow it.  The 3 piece standard airlock will - personal experience. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »

Not sure, but if using a cooled chamber I'm sure it doesn't take too long.  Hopefully your airlock won't allow it.  The 3 piece standard airlock will - personal experience.

Wow, you weren't kidding. Checked just now and although very little was missing, you can see that there was a bit of Starsan bubbles inside the top of the fementer. Good call, thank you.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:43 pm »

S-lock... No worries
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 04:47:16 pm »

S-lock... No worries

Yep
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 04:48:28 pm »

S-lock... No worries
Yep, the S lock, as long as it isn't over filled (I'd do slightly underfilled) shouldn't drop any liquid into the beer.  The suck back is one of the reasons I don't  cold crash until the beer is kegged, since it has to be sucking in oxygen as well.  The o2 exposure probably isn't much, but almost certainly more than I get by crashing in the keg under co2 pressure.
I have absolutely no data or taste testing to show what, if any impact long term though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 05:08:30 pm »
Yep, the S lock, as long as it isn't over filled (I'd do slightly underfilled) shouldn't drop any liquid into the beer.  The suck back is one of the reasons I don't  cold crash until the beer is kegged, since it has to be sucking in oxygen as well.  The o2 exposure probably isn't much, but almost certainly more than I get by crashing in the keg under co2 pressure.
I have absolutely no data or taste testing to show what, if any impact long term though.

Yeah, I crash in keg now, too. For years I crashed in the fermenter, honestly with no ill effects. My theory was that the air that got sucked in must've sat on top of the heavier blanket of CO2. I'm pretty sensitive to oxidation and didn't find any. But I just like the idea of eliminating O2 altogether. So I crash while I carb.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 05:23:38 pm »

Yeah, I crash in keg now, too. For years I crashed in the fermenter, honestly with no ill effects. My theory was that the air that got sucked in must've sat on top of the heavier blanket of CO2. I'm pretty sensitive to oxidation and didn't find any. But I just like the idea of eliminating O2 altogether. So I crash while I carb.
^^^^yes this. No issues with O2 at all crashing in carboy....,,ever
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale