Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA pitch  (Read 2210 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
IPA pitch
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:42:07 pm »
I'm brewing my house IPA, but going with us 05 dry vs the 001 I usually make a starter with. It should be 5.5gallons at 1.068ish. One pack or 1+, I do plan on re-hydrating. What say you?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: IPA pitch
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:46:23 pm »
I'm brewing my house IPA, but going with us 05 dry vs the 001 I usually make a starter with. It should be 5.5gallons at 1.068ish. One pack or 1+, I do plan on re-hydrating. What say you?

One pack will work fine, Frank. I use a pack of it up to ~ 1.070 OG - well above that I'll use 2. No worries !
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:36 pm »
Thanks Jon, that's what I figured, just wanted to check.
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:31:52 pm »

One pack will work fine, Frank. I use a pack of it up to ~ 1.070 OG - well above that I'll use 2. No worries !
+1 - one packet of US-05 will be fine even sprinkled dry up to the mid 1.070's in my experience.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 01:13:32 pm »

1 will work just fine. re-hydrate is a good idea for the starting OG higher than 1060. we re-hydrate every time.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 04:30:01 pm »
I ran this with 1 pack sprinkled.  It was chugging away the next morning after my pitch. That was Saturday.  I had heavy airlock activity until Friday  morning and even now 1 or 2 bubbles per minute. Have  not sampled or checked gravity. I probably won't until mid week at the earliest,  then dry hops with an ounce each of Amarillo, Centennial, Citra, and Simcoe. Can't wait for it to be ready to drink!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:43:17 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »
Opps, all that said, the activity I saw makes me comfortable with the single pack dry pitch , but we will see at sampling
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:41:49 pm »
Decided to check gravity today, 9 days after pitching. Still 1 or 2 bubbles through the airlock every 30-60 seconds. OG was 1.066, 1 pack so5  sprinkled on top took it down to 1.011/12 in 9 days for 81% AA.  Very happy with the sample, added 4 Oz of dry hops, with the hopes of finding time to bottle early next week if not this weekend
Frank L.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 06:42:38 pm »
with the hopes of finding time to bottle early next week if not this weekend

Are you a glutton for punishment? :) 

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:53:32 pm »
Nope just thirsty for my IPA
Frank L.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 08:46:36 am »
The "glutton for punishment" comment was in reference to bottling beer.  I do not know many people who bottled their batches for much more than a year, and that was back in the bad old days.   It appears that you have been brewing for several years, and you still bottle. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 09:35:57 am »
The "glutton for punishment" comment was in reference to bottling beer.  I do not know many people who bottled their batches for much more than a year, and that was back in the bad old days.   It appears that you have been brewing for several years, and you still bottle.

I'm also in that camp. I've been brewing for close to six years now and still only bottle. I don't have the space in my house for kegging right now and with brewing mostly one gallon batches it isn't efficient to spend all that time and house space over 8-10 bottles of beer. I also brew a lot of beer that gets aged so being able to drink it one bottle at a time is an advantage for me.

If I brewed in larger volumes more frequently then I'd have a tough time slogging through a bottling day that long that often. Thirty minutes bottling a gallon is much less of a chore than bottling five gallons.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 69franx

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 11:09:56 am »
I've been brewing and bottling for almost 2 years(06/13 was when I started.) I will eventually keg, but I really dont mind the bottling right now. I have some other expenses to take care of before the cash outlay for kegging. We also have 2 teenagers and 1 pre-teen in the household and I can keep an eye on bottles a lot more easily. Another reason came from Siamese Moose, whose beginner and advanced brewing classes I took here locally at Dan Listermann's shop. He said he still bottled often as essentially a stop gap on his drinking: way to easy to just pull another pint, bottles are easier to let me know how far in I am. I see myself bottling for probably another 2 years, and then going crazy with kegs. Until then, I like the look of my bottled beers: I have 70-80 Stone bombers in my inventory as well as about 2 cases worth of their 12oz bottles as my little homage to one of my first and still favorite breweries. In the end for this batch, I will likely pull the dry hops this weekend, and start a cold crash, then bottle next weekend.
Frank L.