Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrewing and children bad??  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Homebrewing and children bad??
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 01:29:29 pm »
If it's a question your brewing buddy is worried about he should ask his lawyer.  I have to believe your roommates have legal counsel to assist with gaining custody of the child.  Anything that could have an affect on the case must be disclosed to their representative in court.  Lawyers hate surprises.

That being said, IANAL and the kids who brew with me are my own.  In Iowa it is actually legal to serve alcohol to your own kids in your own house (within reason of course)  Not that I would but I could.  I think it's a good way to teach them safety rules and light a fire in them to experiment.  Nothing says fun in school like chem lab!!!  ;D

Seriously though, this is a good question but it would be answered better by the legal representatives familiar with the case.

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bmilford

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 07:50:58 pm »

I remember a sad case I witnessed during my medical training of a rural mom cooking dinner on a wok (using oil) and as she was transferring the wok from the burner to the sink, it slipped and spilled hot oil on her son and daughter playing on the floor  near her feet.  Her daughter bore the brunt of the hot oil--face, neck, arms, back, chest, and thighs were scalded with 2nd and 3rd degree burns... 

I just had a similar experence, pan full of hot oil got knocked off of the stove and splashed hot oil everywhere, me included. I thank God my kids wheren't in the kitchen, that is also my biggest worry with brewing is that there could be an accident involving hot wort and my kids. They can help when they want but not around the brew kettle.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 08:48:08 pm »
I hear ya--accidents do happen and sometimes danger isn't where we think it is.

One time my wife was so insistent on making a PB sandwich while I was sanitizing my bottles on bottling day and she proceeded to start a domino effect of all my delabelled, washed, and sanitized bottles representing the previous 3 hours work cascading over the counter onto the floor. My barefoot 7 yo had just walked into the kitchen and was in the path of all the shattered glass tsunami, but I fortunately had seen the domino effect happening, instinctively turned and rushed to grab him, and lifted him out of the way just in time.

Some parts of brewing aren't so dangerous.  Yet my 2 boys, now ages 10 and 7.5, are always doing what brothers do--push and shove and annoy each other.  I do like to share my love for this hobby with them.  They occasionally help me weigh out the hops and grind the grains and pour the RO water out of the plastic jug into the boil kettle at the beginning of the brew day, but they've not been allowed around the boil kettle, the hot liquids, or the cleaning chemicals.  If they do come out to see what I'm doing, I only let one boy come out at a time and safety is paramount in my mind.  I keep them away from the kettle.

IMO, you're never alone when you brew--Mr Murphy is always present, and never helpful.  The stories on this forum attest to that.

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 08:41:01 am »
When I first started homebrewing my sister thought only alchoholics brewed their own beer and asked if I had a "problem".  I think it is very misunderstood, as well as the craft beer movement in general.  Anyone who puts that much time and thought into beer MUST be an alchoholic, right?  Funny thing is most of us have much more regard for the product and treat it with way more respect than your average BMC drinker.

I was much more of an alchoholic when I drank Miller Lite!!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:33:01 am by mnstorm99 »
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:19 am »
When I first started homebrewing my sister thought only alchoholics brewed their own beer and asked if I had a "problem".  I think it is very misunderstood, as well as the craft beer movement in general.  Anyone who puts that much time and thought into beer MUST be an alchoholic, right?  Funny thing is most of us have much more regard product and treat it with way more respect than your average BMC drinker.

I was much more of an alchoholic when I drank Miller Lite!!!

+1

Alcoholics need beer NOW.  They can't wait two weeks for fermentation, much less 2 months for conditioning!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 11:32:27 am »
I saw this on HBT and about fell out of my chair...

Posted there by Glibbidy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 11:43:05 am »

Instant classic!  LOL
Joe

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »
I see nothing wrong with it...they make great little assistant brewers.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline marty

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 01:09:10 pm »

they're great at cleaning hard to reach spots

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 01:25:09 pm »
personally, i would rather my children involved than the government...
Don AHA member

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 02:26:46 am »
Having just finished law school, I have exactly one piece of advice I can legally give you before I pass the bar: hire an attorney. Seriously, this sounds like you need a lawyer.

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 04:58:23 am »

holy s***
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 02:13:09 pm »
holy s*** is right, she's way to close to the edge without proper fall protection.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 02:17:36 pm »
glad to see i'm not the only person to put their kid to work on brewday.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 02:49:59 pm »

they're great at cleaning hard to reach spots

Yes, they are.

I'm fairly convinced that every homebrewer with kids has a similar picture. Someone should start a website called kidsinbuckets.com and collect them all.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”