Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chest Freezer Cleaning  (Read 926 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Chest Freezer Cleaning
« on: April 27, 2015, 01:26:10 pm »
I'm curious to know how often and how you clean your chest freezer. I'm using this as a fermentation chamber and don't really expect any visible beer to be in the freezer. Never the less, is there any cleaning recommended between use? I do plan on shutting off and keeping the door open between beers (until I start kegging).

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Chest Freezer Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 01:40:17 pm »
We clean it when it gets dirty or too wet. The fan we have in the chest freezer helps, but 25CF is a lot of volume for a little computer fan to dry out.

When you start kegging, you will drip beer in the thing. It's just a fact of kegging/chest freezer life. Just mop it up before it gets nasty.

I like Swiffers on a stick to clean the bottom. I should clean it this week since it's gotta a little wet recently, but we will see how that pans out. Still have to stain the deck and that takes a bit of precedent.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 01:54:40 pm »
When empty I spritz with a cleaner, simple green or whatever, and wipe it clean. Then I spritz with starsan and wipe it dry. I replace my dryzair/damp rid as needed. I normally dont have a humidity problem unless im doing high temps like my lacto week at 90f. Then I have to wipe dry a time or two to give the damp rid a chance.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:35:45 pm »
I clean it when it's dirty

... and I notice

... OK, when I notice the 4th time.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958