Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old Malt  (Read 1189 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Old Malt
« on: June 05, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »
I brewed a 1.040 pale ale not so long ago with golden promise left over from a long ago brew day (more than one year). The malt was in an airtight "vittles vault" container the whole time, so I figured it was worth using. Anyway, the beer came out oddly astringent. I even used polyclar to try to clean it of the tannins to little avail. It doesn't taste stale or anything, just a little astringent, like a back of the throat bitterness. I don't think the problem was caused by the water or the hops, so it must be from the malt or the process. I don't think I oversparged (I batch sparged), but I suppose it's possible. My question is whether old malt can do this or if I must have just sparged too aggressively this time?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Old Malt
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:07:34 am »
I can't say old malt is not the cause of the issue but I've used malt over a year old stored in less favorable conditions and not had problems with astringency. Not the best flavor but not astringent.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:04:06 am »
It is the strangest thing - I haven't ever had this problem before and I brew a lot of low-gravity beers.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:06:48 am »
I've never had any issues with older malt, even 3 year old malt.
Jeff B