Author Topic: Back at it again  (Read 760 times)

Offline nosticks

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Back at it again
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
I started brewing back in High School (early 1960's) and started with Blue Ribbon Malt and baking yeast.  We were kids and couldn't buy beer, so, make it instead.  That was some rough swill back then, blew up many bottles from too soon bottling.  I didn't have instruments back then.

Later in life, I got into it again in the mid 80's.  Had a lot of fun and made some pretty good brews.  A few failures along the way, but alot of info was not readily available to me back then.  After moving from a house to a condo in 1990, I gave away all my stuff, cases of champagne bottles, capper, fermentation vessels, etc. 

Now I'm back in a house and started up again (2015).  Brewing and wine making.  Couldn't believe the difference 25 years made in information and choices.  I started off with a kit having malt extract and grains, until I get the hang of it again.  Beer is in the bottles now and I'm waiting for another week to pass to try it.  Also made up a batch of wine going through it's secondary fermentation now.

So, I'm here to learn from all of you more experienced brewers.  I intend to move to kegging, build a keezer, and experiment along the way.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Back at it again
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »
Welcome back !
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:28:38 PM »
welcome back indeed.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »
Welcome to the AHA forum!

The internet really has made a difference in getting the info out there. On this forum you'll get answers in near real time for the most part- members fighting to answer your questions.

And if you think of something that sounds too elementary or ridiculous to ask about go ahead and ask anyway. Odds are we've all had the same questions... 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
Welcome back. I had my first home brewed beer in about 1991 from a friend. Nothing special, but still it was his. Unfortunately, it took me until 2013 to actually start doing it myself, but I am having a blast now with it. Cant wait for the weekend!
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:04:36 AM »
Welcome back. Nice to have someone from the old school. I think you'll like your results, especially compared to your Blue Ribbon days.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'