Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Census 2010  (Read 5118 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Census 2010
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »
Everyone send in their form?

I did it right away which I think was last year. I have since been through three (3), thirty (30) min. plus interviews on the phone. All three were to clarify things that I had clearly filled out on the form. I thought it was crazy the amount of my time that they were taking, basically a thirty min call that should take about ten mins.

As if that isnt a PITA enough, three weeks ago a woman started coming by. Wants to come in the house and conduct a 40 min interview. I siad OK and she came in. She pulls out the regular form that we filled out last year. I explained that I did already fill out the form. She said that she has no information on that and would like to fill it out again. I replied "NO" I dont want myself or my family to be counted twice, and we did our part already. She tried to continue and I asked her to leave.

I called the Census bureaus field office and told them the situation. Gave them my phone number and told them to look up my info cause I will not go through another interview.

Now, there is another more aggressive man coming by, stops here two or three times a day stacking up the little notices you put on the door. He was just here and I didnt answer the door.

Im being harassed and Im really annoyed and angry.  >:(
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Census 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:22:08 pm »
How odd.. the census forms arrived here.. I don't know 2-3 months ago, filled it out in 5 minutes and haven't heard anything since. I've seen the census workers walking the neighborhood trying to mop up the stragglers (and a friend of mine is actually doing it in another part of town)

Sounds like you just got caught in a paperwork snafu.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:25:49 pm »
Yeah, turned ours in right away and haven't heard a thing since.  Did, though, get caught last weekend.  Was out working in the garden and the Census guy was looking for my next door neighbors.  They're on work assignment in Australia for a year and won't be back till July.  I got to be their "proxy" for the Census dude.
Joe

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:37:40 pm »

Im being harassed and Im really annoyed and angry.  >:(

Considering half the questions were "are you hispanic" and "are you sure you're not hispanic" I can't imagine having to spend that much time on it.

1. Can your in-laws answer the door, not speak English, and insist on "whatever" language so they send you someone your in-laws can talk to?
2. Call the local news station and ask them to investigate.
3. Get the guys name, and file a restraining order.
4. Get a guard dog.

Easiest way for it to go away is swig a couple beers and answer the Q's, but I know that's not your style.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:39:13 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:49:46 pm »
Or invite them in and answer all the questions like Dr. Evil and give the
pinky finger One Million!

How many people live here?
One Million!
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 06:44:30 am »
This must be some form of racism.  You're not a non-hispanic -- really really sure you're not hispanic -- Caucasian, are you.  Rhetorical point, no need to respond.  Regardless of the real answer, racism is alive and well in the USA.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:13:27 am »
Everyone send in their form?

Yep

As if that isnt a PITA enough, three weeks ago a woman started coming by. Wants to come in the house and conduct a 40 min interview. I siad OK and she came in. She pulls out the regular form that we filled out last year.
Im being harassed and Im really annoyed and angry.  >:(

Same here, she started leaving notes on the gate- 400ft away from front door :D Then she would just sit at the gate in her truck, I would go outside do yardwork like I never seen her. This went on for almost 2wks.

I did what was required by law and thats all I was going to do F`em

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 09:07:56 am »
We submitted our form and haven't heard back from them.

Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in your case.

If you feel like your being harassed then I would inform them of this and I would ask them leave and not return as it would be considered trespassing.

....and if that doesn't work call the authorities.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:09:50 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 01:53:00 pm »
We got the form in April... or March, maybe. I filled it out, and sent it to them. About two weeks later, another one arrives with a letter telling us we didn't send in our form. The papers went straight to trash, and haven't heard from the Census Bureau since.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 03:09:25 pm »
In California we had neighbors that were Armenian, but I don't think that qualifies us to call ourselves Caucasian...Cap on the other hand cooks food from the Caucacus region quite often, it seems...one too many plovs maybe, got you on the radar?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 06:28:40 pm »
Do you think they keep coming around cause my wife is a foreigner?

Whatever, I am Hispanic...at heart anyways. I should have filled it out Hispanic.

What is it with all of the racial questions anyways? I am from the school of thought that it matters nothing what race you are. Isnt our government?

When is it going to end.

I may let them come in. When they do I am going to claim that I am Hispanic. Ill make sure we are making tacos for dinner when they come over.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 09:05:25 pm »
Maybe they're fake census takers, and they're really investigating your brewing. Some neighbor reported you, and now they're trying to take you down like Capone. I think the AHA needs to get involved to protect your homebrewing rights!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 04:59:09 pm »
We had a cultural sensitivity class at work. It is very inappropriate to ask if one has a good burrito recipe...

So no more racist request for foreign food. Only hot dish and jello salad recipes in the food section from now on.

Scratch that, jello has separate colors and it may lead to problems...from now on only recipes on how to boil water...

;) ;D
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 05:17:37 pm »
Maybe they're fake census takers, and they're really investigating your brewing. Some neighbor reported you, and now they're trying to take you down like Capone. I think the AHA needs to get involved to protect your homebrewing rights!

What brewing?  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 02:50:05 pm »
Beware of fake census takers
http://www.macon.com/2010/05/11/1123723/beware-of-fake-census-takers.html

A census taker will not ask for your Social Security, credit card or bank account numbers nor will he or she ask to enter your house for any reason.

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire