Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: UK Hops at 42.42N  (Read 3490 times)

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
UK Hops at 42.42N
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:38:33 am »
I have been getting more and more into  British beers and would like to add some common UK varieties to my hop yards but I hear they don't do well below the 48th parallel. Anyone know of some exceptions?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: UK Hops at 42.42N
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:38:49 am »
I got frustrated with my Goldings and dug it out. Latitude is 42.59 here. They don't like the hot dry spell we usually get in July and August.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:36 am »
I got frustrated with my Goldings and dug it out. Latitude is 42.59 here. They don't like the hot dry spell we usually get in July and August.
We get that too. Nothing seems to like it. I have to spend time irrigating the garden and the bees usually end up eating the honey from the supers because nectar is scarce. Good beer drinking weather though.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:39:18 am »
You might be able to get Willamette or Northern Brewer to grow. They aren't exactly UK hops but close enough that you could use them in your British styles without too much objection.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:18:45 am »
You might be able to get Willamette or Northern Brewer to grow. They aren't exactly UK hops but close enough that you could use them in your British styles without too much objection.

+1 Glacier grows quite well in my yard. Vojvodina also grows quite well.
Kyle M.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 09:56:18 am »

Willamette is a triploid of Fuggles, so it is a little more robust. It did a little better in my yard last year as it is more established, and we did not get to hot or too dry. They German varieties did the best ever, usually they don't do too great.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 11:13:09 am »
I do have a Willamette but its not doing well. I'll give it one more chance with a lot of tlc this year and see.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:29:47 pm »
I have had zero luck with British cultivars.  They grow like gangbusters in the spring, but loose their vigor as soon as summer rolls around.  A cultivar that I did not expect to last through last season was Spalt Select.   It survived with only minimal signs of heat stress.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 12:31:59 pm »
I have had zero luck with British cultivars.  They grow like gangbusters in the spring, but loose their vigor as soon as summer rolls around.  A cultivar that I did not expect to last through last season was Spalt Select.   It survived with only minimal signs of heat stress.
Slight High Jack here, sorry.
Mark, what cultivars do well at 39.12N, here in greater Cincinnati area? I had not even thought of this prior to ordering some Rhizomes. I think I bought Columbus, Northern Brewer, and a couple others. In the future, which, if any, would I have luck with?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:40:56 am »
Columbus and Cascade should do well in Cincinatti (hardiness zone 6).  The hop with no name is CTZ-like, and it performed very well last year.  Cascade performed as expected. Spalt Select did well for being a first-year field-grade plant.  Spalt Select also does not appear to be a Japanese Beetle magnet.  I dug out my Santiam, Horizon, and Fuggle crowns last fall, and replaced them with Wye Challenger (hopefully, it's real Wye Challenger this time), Southern Brewer, and Southern Promise.  I also added Wye Yeoman and Early Cluster.

I attempted to grow Saaz, Hallertau, and Willamette in Maryland's Coastal Plain (hardiness zone 7) back in 1993.  I gave up after three years of beating my head against the wall with these cultivars.  Willamette flowers better than Fuggle at latitude 39, but it is almost as heat sensitive as Fuggle. 

I grew Southern Brewer, Pacific Gem, AlphAroma, Shinsuwase, Golden Star, Kirin II, and Osvald 72 back in 2001/2002 in Maryland's Piedmont Plateu (hardiness zone 6).  The soil found in Maryland's Piedmont Plateu is much higher quality than the soil found in Maryland's Coastal Plain, which is basically sand.  The temperature in Maryland's Piedmont Plateu is also 5 to 10 degrees cooler on average with less humidity.  As expected, Osvald 72 (Saaz clonal selection) was a complete disappointment due to needing a longer photoperiod.  Southern Brewer, Pacific Gem, and AlphaArome grew very well.  This information should come as no surprise to experienced hop growers.  After all, the hop growing areas of New Zealand and South Africa have peak photoperiods in the Southern Hemisphere that are less than or equal that of 39 degrees north latitude.  Kirin II was the standout in the Japanese hops.  It grew like a weed. The hop growing area in Japan, the Iwate Prefecture, is located at 39 degrees north.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 07:25:22 am »
I had to look up the zone where I live, it is 5b.

http://www.248landscape.com/2012/michigan-plant-hardiness-zone-map/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 09:10:13 am »
I had to look up the zone where I live, it is 5b. . . .

There were a few mornings back in the college days when that happened to me, been pretty good lately though, haha!

Offline 69franx

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 01:19:28 pm »
Columbus and Cascade should do well in Cincinatti (hardiness zone 6).  The hop with no name is CTZ-like, and it performed very well last year.  Cascade performed as expected. Spalt Select did well for being a first-year field-grade plant.  Spalt Select also does not appear to be a Japanese Beetle magnet.  I dug out my Santiam, Horizon, and Fuggle crowns last fall, and replaced them with Wye Challenger (hopefully, it's real Wye Challenger this time), Southern Brewer, and Southern Promise.  I also added Wye Yeoman and Early Cluster.

I attempted to grow Saaz, Hallertau, and Willamette in Maryland's Coastal Plain (hardiness zone 7) back in 1993.  I gave up after three years of beating my head against the wall with these cultivars.  Willamette flowers better than Fuggle at latitude 39, but it is almost as heat sensitive as Fuggle. 

I grew Southern Brewer, Pacific Gem, AlphAroma, Shinsuwase, Golden Star, Kirin II, and Osvald 72 back in 2001/2002 in Maryland's Piedmont Plateu (hardiness zone 6).  The soil found in Maryland's Piedmont Plateu is much higher quality than the soil found in Maryland's Coastal Plain, which is basically sand.  The temperature in Maryland's Piedmont Plateu is also 5 to 10 degrees cooler on average with less humidity.  As expected, Osvald 72 (Saaz clonal selection) was a complete disappointment due to needing a longer photoperiod.  Southern Brewer, Pacific Gem, and AlphaArome grew very well.  This information should come as no surprise to experienced hop growers.  After all, the hop growing areas of New Zealand and South Africa have peak photoperiods in the Southern Hemisphere that are less than or equal that of 39 degrees north latitude.  Kirin II was the standout in the Japanese hops.  It grew like a weed. The hop growing area in Japan, the Iwate Prefecture, is located at 39 degrees north.
Thanks Mark, it has taken me a couple weeks to catch up on the forum since I was out of town. I am glad to hear that the cascade and columbus should do well. I also bought northern Brewer, Magnum, Brewer's gold, and Centennial. Fingers crossed, they should be on my doorstep when I get home from work today
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 01:22:22 pm »
I had to look up the zone where I live, it is 5b.

http://www.248landscape.com/2012/michigan-plant-hardiness-zone-map/
Thanks Jeff, using that website, I find that I am in zone 6a, would never have known where to go to find that
Frank L.