Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dried sour cherries  (Read 7745 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: dried sour cherries
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 03:49:48 am »
Great idea. What gravity? Because if you want it to be like a 1.050 beer, keep in mind that the fruit might not be that high. On beers that I fruit I overshoot my intended overall gravity knowing that I'll get a little dilution from the fruit. Also another bonus of using puree that comes with a known gravity. Easier to plan out.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 04:04:37 am »
1.065, fermented with Westmalle yeast. Adding fresh cherries should not make a lot of difference to alcohol content. I think less than 0.5% ABV (formula in Mike Tonsmeire's book).  I think we should aim for at least 250 grams of cherries per liter (in the Imperial system that's 0.092 cups per cubic inch).
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 04:17:00 am »
Sounds plenty big to me. Good luck

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 04:57:11 am »
Sounds plenty big to me. Good luck

Thanks. By the way, do you ever sleep?  ::)
Frank P.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 05:12:30 am »
Shift work... going back to daylight starting tomorrow

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 05:15:49 am »

I did that for years.  I had weeks where I worked all 3 three shifts in the same week. Don't miss that crap.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 05:18:32 am »

Haha, didn't think of that. Thought you were a man with superpowers (I guess I still do).
Frank P.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 05:38:12 am »

I did that for years.  I had weeks where I worked all 3 three shifts in the same week. Don't miss that crap.
I like variety. (One reason why I love this hobby) But, ya... the change overs get old.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 05:44:59 am »

Haha, didn't think of that. Thought you were a man with superpowers (I guess I still do).
You're 100% correct. I can see through bulls***. ;-) Not as flashy as being able to jump over buildings or have knives pop out of my knuckles, but it does come in handy.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 09:01:07 am »
Hm, there seems to be a consensus growing amongst the personae in my head that it would be kind of silly to import American tart cherry puree into Belgium.  :P Also, no dried cherries coated with oil. So instead we are thinking of using fresh Belgian cherries: make the base beer, add brett, funk, critters etc., let it do its thing for a year, add fresh cherries in the summer of next year,  wait another 3 months or so, then bottle.

If you are after supplication you should try to source dried cherries. The flavor or dried fruit, in my opinion, is very different than that of fresh. but you know as well as I do that a sour beer brewed with fresh tart cherries is fantastic and you would not be dissapointed.

Lot's of folks are fold of the purees but I can offer one reason that whole fruit would be better; the pit. That little stone will add some really interesting flavors especially after a year or more. If RR is using dried cherries they probably don't have the pit so again, if you want supplication keep looking for those dried cherries.

on the oil front, I'm not sure it would be a problem. you are adding the cherries to cold beer. the oil is not going dissolve. it might float on top but that's not a problem if you rack carefully to leave it behind. People add chocolate and nuts to beer all the time and the oil doesn't seem to be a problem. Dry hops area adding oil to cold beer and that doesn't seem to hurt head retention in any way.

so to summarize:

if you want it to be close to supplication use dried cherries If you are not as concerned about that, use local fresh cherries. either way, make sure they are tart cherries because sweet cherries do not have the flavor complexity that I like to see in a cherry beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 09:17:42 am »
Indeed, we want the pits. No tart cherry beer shall be brewed on Belgian soil that doth not have the pits. So no puree. Does anyone have a link to affordable good quality preferably unoiled dried unpitted tart cherries?
Frank P.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 09:24:33 am »
Indeed, we want the pits. No tart cherry beer shall be brewed on Belgian soil that doth not have the pits. So no puree. Does anyone have a link to affordable good quality preferably unoiled dried unpitted tart cherries?
How soon is cherry season there? Can you wait? I pretty much do any brewing and mead making with fruit based on local availability of nice ripe fruit.
EDIT: Just remembered you will be adding cherries next year. Just wait until next years local cherry season.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:27:37 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 09:40:17 am »
How soon is cherry season there? Can you wait? I pretty much do any brewing and mead making with fruit based on local availability of nice ripe fruit.
EDIT: Just remembered you will be adding cherries next year. Just wait until next years local cherry season.

This.

I suspect you will not find any unpitted dried cherries as it would make the drying process really hard. All of the dried cherries I have ever seen are pitted and split. I've been wrong before though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 09:56:45 am »

This.

I suspect you will not find any unpitted dried cherries as it would make the drying process really hard. All of the dried cherries I have ever seen are pitted and split. I've been wrong before though.

And FWIW, I totally agree on the pit character. Just offered the puree as a quality alternative to oily dried fruit.  But there is the option of mahlab powder - ground cherry pit powder , to use with puree.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 10:04:42 am »
But there is the option of mahlab powder - ground cherry pit powder , to use with puree.

That's a joke, right? Please? Pretty please? :P
Frank P.