Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator Stopped Working  (Read 3330 times)

Offline daschey

• 1st Kit
Kegerator Stopped Working
« on: April 22, 2015, 05:22:19 pm »
I have not been kegging very long and have run into an issue I cannot seem to solve.  My Kegerator started pouring very slowly and I cannot seem to figure out why.  I have taken the measures below to attempt to trouble shoot it without any luck and was hoping someone might be able to assist.

I removed the Liquid line from the corny keg and attached a party tap to the keg to see if that was the issue and it did not fix it.

I removed the gas line and connected another CO2 tank with regulator and separate corny attachment and that did not make it pour either.

I removed the stem and poppet to ensure they were not clogged with hop matter and they were clear.

I hooked the liquid line up to my line cleaner (a pump pressure tank with a corny liquid post attached) beer flowed perfectly through the tower and tap.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be missing?

Offline rturner17

• 1st Kit
Re: Kegerator Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 11:52:05 pm »
Just to check a few other basic things...what psi do you have it at? Did you make sure that any gas valves are open, including the main valve on the CO2 tank? Is the regulator connected tight and properly? Is it pouring only more slowly, or more slowly and foamy? When you hooked the liquid line up to the cleaner keg, were you using the same CO2 set up? If so, it would appear to be something particular to that keg.

Typically, a slowing pour regardless of which out line would indicate the CO2 pressure pushing it out is the issue. When the keg sits for a while, does it pour a little better but then slow again? This would indicate no CO2 getting in to push, but the CO2 is coming out of solution to equalize the pressure in the keg.

Did you remove both stems and poppets (gas and liquid)? How about the dip tubes? I'm assuming you don't hear the CO2 running or air coming out of the keg that would signify a leak.

Last question...was the beer so good that you just drank it all and haven't come to terms with that? :) Hopefully those questions make sense and trigger something!!

Offline daschey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:13:12 am »
I have it set at 10psi, and the gas valve is open completely. Regulator is connected correctly as far as I know.  It pours slowly and foamy, and I made a cleaner keg out of a pump out of a sprayer that you pump up for pressure.  I've used this keg in the past but it might be that.  I have considered racking it over into another keg to see if that corrects the issue.  It does pour better when it sits but still not great.  Both stems and poppets and the dip tubes were removed and checked. 
I must admit I did drink a couple pints throughout this process even if it took 2 to 3 minutes to pour it with a 2" head that had to settle out.  No better way to cope with the stress of a kegerator not working than a beer.  With that said its the last 4+ gallons I want to enjoy!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:46:26 am »
Looks like you covered basics. My guess is your regulator gauge reads incorrectly. Have you tried turning up the pressure? Simply sounds like you are not getting enough pressure.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:17:52 pm »
Has your lid become unsealed slightly for some strange reason?  What happens when you jack up the psi to say 20-25?

Offline daschey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 04:45:21 pm »
When I turn it up to 20 PSI it pours better but a lot of foam. 

This is probably a stupid question but just checking everything.  on my regulator the Taprite double gauge regulator it has a cut off switch just below the regulator where the gas line is connected to it.  that should be pointing down for full open right?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 05:12:15 pm »
I read that you removed the liquid line from the keg - sorry, but did you look down the end and inspect it ?  If there's a slight restriction there, the beer will pour foamy. That dip tube needs to be spotless for sanitation's sake first, and secondly for a good pour.
Jon H.

Offline daschey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 05:57:17 pm »
Yes I cleaned it and then sanitized it before re-assembling it. I'm starting to think its that keg. Do you think if I replace the gas post I might be able to salvage that Keg or is it better to cut my loss.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 05:06:26 am »
So, it sounds like a number of things. You regulator is off and probably your lines are either not long enough or  the ID is too large diameter.

I have a few regulators whose gauges are wonky. All it takes is one tip over. Some have come from the manufacturer screwy. What ID is you line? How long a line are you using?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 03:13:18 pm »
So, it sounds like a number of things. You regulator is off and probably your lines are either not long enough or  the ID is too large diameter.

I have a few regulators whose gauges are wonky. All it takes is one tip over. Some have come from the manufacturer screwy. What ID is you line? How long a line are you using?

I was going to ask the same thing but also I didn't see if the OP checked the Qd's (Disconnects). I just went through something similar (air in line) and found a bad QD was the culprit, perhaps the disconnect is faulty or partially plugged up. It could also be that the small pin inside is damaged and not fully depressing the poppit.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 05:51:45 am »

I was going to ask the same thing but also I didn't see if the OP checked the Qd's (Disconnects). I just went through something similar (air in line) and found a bad QD was the culprit, perhaps the disconnect is faulty or partially plugged up. It could also be that the small pin inside is damaged and not fully depressing the poppit.

That's a good thing to check as well. I dry hopped in a keg recently and didn't use a sure screen and had to take apart the QDC to clean out plugged hops and was getting exact scenario as OP was saying.

Offline sdevries42

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »
What temperature do you keep the keggerator at? Where is the temp probe? I recently had no flow in all of my taps and couldn't figure out why. Everything seemed to be set up properly. I had my Johnson temp controller set at 39 degrees with a diff of 2 degrees so I thought for sure freezing wasn't the issue. But it was. I went to grab the kegs and they were both frozen solid. After further investigation, I realized that my temp probe was near the top of the keggerator which was about 12 degrees warmer than the bottom, which was at around 25 degrees. What I did to fix that was put a fan into the keggerator for better airflow and less temp differential. I attached the temp probe to a glass of water and put it near the bottom. I thawed the kegs out and now everything works great!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »
Are you sure that the dip tube is not restricted inside the keg? I have some kegs with bent dip tubes.  If you're not careful when you tighten down the post, the tube will spin and the opening can get restricted against the side of the keg.

I also have one keg that just reacts freakishly at certain pressures.  Slow foamy pour, or none at all, until I pull the relief valve and then it pours just fine.  Add pressure, restriction, remove pressure, good pour.  I'm sure there's a solution, but I haven't found it yet.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 04:36:52 pm »
Are you sure that the dip tube is not restricted inside the keg? I have some kegs with bent dip tubes.  If you're not careful when you tighten down the post, the tube will spin and the opening can get restricted against the side of the keg.

+1.  Almost all of my kegs have a curved dip tube . It's pretty easy to not notice and tighten the post with the tube against the wall. I learned the hard way once.
Jon H.