Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Coming....Now What?  (Read 3341 times)

Offline EricHSmith

• 1st Kit
Re: Keg Coming....Now What?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 01:42:03 pm »
Harbor Freight has a decent regulator for about $30. That's 1/2 of what most LHBS will have one for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eric H. Smith
BJCP F0831

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 01:22:19 pm »
I've never swapped a tank. Any place I've been will fill it on the spot, usually. I won't leave the tank or exchange.

I lost a nice new one the first time I exchanged.  But big deal.  I use the Co2, not the pretty tank.  Plus, if I want my own tank filled, it's a 70 mile drive.  To exchange it, is less than 5 miles.  Pretty simple.  The thing that gets me, is a 5lb tank cost me about $18.  A 20lb tank is $21.  That's why I have been slowly selling my 5lb ones.  Just need two for the kegerators.  But for carbonating, and such, the 20lb is the way to go.  (at least with a 1bbl system)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 02:47:56 pm »
+1 I agree on the 20#'er. Then one can fill their 5# tanks from it! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 03:15:41 pm »
Agreed. Im going to add a 20 for out in the brewery and keep my two 5s for the tap. Just because they fit inside.

Offline bassetman

• Cellarman
  • B is for beer and Basset
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 05:07:12 pm »
Exchange is the only choice in this area. If you want your tank filled it will be gone a month.
If it ain't broke let me have a go at it.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 09:14:18 am »
What's going to drive you nuts is when you have to turn in your brand new shiny empty CO2 tank for an old beat up full one. Ask me how i know. Especially if you discover that you paid more for the new one than a deposit would have been.

There's no need to swap a new CO2 tank for an old blemished tank. Most medium-sized towns usually have at least one fire extinguisher service company that will fill a CO2 tank for the price of the gas that it takes to fill the tank (sometimes one may have to drop the tank off and pick up it up later).  These companies also hydrostatic test tanks for a price that is low enough that it makes sense to have even 5lb tanks hydrostatic tested.  I have found the specialized gas companies to be a total ripoff.  They usually charge almost as much to fill a 5lb tank as they do a 20lb tank, and their hydrostatic test charges tend to turn 5lb tanks into disposable items.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 09:26:46 am »
FWIW, I bought a nice aluminum tank new with my kegerator, and I've always swapped it. Local welding shop has yet to give me a replacement aluminum tank that has been anything other than spotless.

That being said, my local welding shop has a really great reputation in the area, and they also stock a lot of draft equipment.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.