Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt Flavor: American vs. Belgian  (Read 2984 times)

Derek

Re: Malt Flavor: American vs. Belgian
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 08:43:59 am »
The most practical thing to do would actually just get my base malt in bulk from local place and order incremental values of my specialty/color/roast malts from someone like Keystone.

I plan on doing 1-1.5 gallon micro batches so it doesnt make sense to have to buy Lbs. of these grains when I may only need 0.05 lbs. at a time.
I brew smaller (2.5-gallon) batches myself, and I generally get a sack of base malt that is most appropriate to the styles I'm brewing the most, and buy my specialty grains in 1-lb increments regardless of how much I need. If stored well, specialty grains will easily last 2+ years. I've ended up accumulating a bit of a library of different malts to choose from, and outside of needing a particular strain of liquid yeast I can brew most recipes on short notice.

I'll be taking your advice and buying in bulk from my local shop. I figure between the Dingemans range they offer (Aromatic, Special B, Pale, Pilsner, Biscuit and Debittered Black), Briess Chocolate Malt, and Avagaard or Muntons Munich I should have all I need for most styles.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Malt Flavor: American vs. Belgian
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 08:58:42 am »
FWIW, I just bought my first sack of Briess Two-Row Brewers Malt for the first time in at least 10 years, and brewed an Imperial IPA yesterday.  I was pleasantly surprised to see my efficiency go up by 5 points, over normal. And usually on those bigger brews (this ended up with an OG of 1.076), I have the opposite problem.