Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German themed IPA  (Read 8908 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
German themed IPA
« on: May 01, 2015, 06:15:02 am »
My next brew day will be a German themed IPA, tell me your thoughts:

55% Avangard Pils
35% Weyerman Munich I
10% Vienna

Bittered with German Herkules (15.7% AA) pellets
I then have 5 oz each of Mandarina Bavaria and Hull Melon whole leaf hops for whirlpool, and dry hop

Wyeast 1007

OG 1.06
IBU: 77ish
SRM: 6.1
Estimated ABV: 6.5%

So what do you think overall? Also, hop schedule for the whole leaf: 5 oz whirlpool, 5 oz dry?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: German themed IPA
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 06:18:17 am »
I think it sounds good. Be aware that it'll be pretty malty with 35% munich. I like the hop schedule.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:07:30 am »
Thanks Jon, nothing set in stone yet. I originally had it at 75/20/5, but was just looking for a little more color and body. Maybe go somewhere in the middle?
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:07:46 am »
I have nothing to add except to say my last 2 or 3 IPAs/ APAs have skipped the crystal in favor of munich/Vienna and I like the results. Nice malty, not too sweet profile. The beer your making sounds like a great idea and mandarina Bavaria are on my to get list.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 07:13:04 am »
Thanks Pete, cant take all the credit. It was inspired by I think Label Peelers, who were selling a kit recently that they were calling Germerican IPA. It had mainly domestic malts, with the Mandarina and Hull hops. After discussing here, mainly with Hoosierbrew, I decided to go all German(except for the Vienna, but thats close anyways). It was just as it got closer to brew day, I started to second guess my grist %s. I may just flip back to my original of 75/20/5, and may make the swap out Munich II for the Munich I for a little more color and body. This was originally scheduled for tomorrow, but I am no longer brewing tomorrow, hopefully next weekend
Frank L.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 07:15:26 am »
Looks good to me but I would be cautious with the munich as Hoosier mentioned. My current APA is all german malts and has 20% munich. I am surprised at how malty it turned out.

I had a single hopped huell melon IPA yesterday. It seems to be pretty mild.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 07:18:38 am »
So with the hop schedule Jon, the Mandarina is 8.5%AA and Hull is 7.2%AA. They are individually packaged 1 ounce packs. I was thinking of doing 2oz of one and 3 of the other in the whirlpool/stand and the reverse for Dry hop. with those AA's, any big difference in which goes where? This will be the first time using the Herkules as well, and have it planned as FWH and calling it a 30 minute addition, which Beersmith says will yield 76.7IBUs. Am I underestimating what it will bring to the table as far as IBUs? The Herkules will be my only addition in BK.
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 07:24:35 am »
Thanks Jon, nothing set in stone yet. I originally had it at 75/20/5, but was just looking for a little more color and body. Maybe go somewhere in the middle?

70/15/15 sounds pretty good to me.  And just a few oz of C40 (even 5 or 6 oz) would give you some extra color if need be. Of course there is always the option of using more gypsum to dry out the finish a little more.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 07:28:14 am »
So with the hop schedule Jon, the Mandarina is 8.5%AA and Hull is 7.2%AA. They are individually packaged 1 ounce packs. I was thinking of doing 2oz of one and 3 of the other in the whirlpool/stand and the reverse for Dry hop. with those AA's, any big difference in which goes where? This will be the first time using the Herkules as well, and have it planned as FWH and calling it a 30 minute addition, which Beersmith says will yield 76.7IBUs. Am I underestimating what it will bring to the table as far as IBUs? The Herkules will be my only addition in BK.

No, the Melon and Mandarina won't give you significant IBU contribution if you add them to the steep @ 180F or less, so it wouldn't matter in that case. I like the idea of reversing the amounts for dry hop too. The 76 IBU will seem pretty much as is if, as I say, you steep the others cool enough. It sounds good !
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 07:56:54 am »
I think you need some addition at the start of the boil to get some of that more aggressive bitterness that is typical of IPA. While I enjoy the power of FWH and it will add some bitterness I find it is too smooth on its own for some styles where the bitterness is noticeable part of the beer's profile.

But I rarely brew IPAs so take that for what it's worth.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:25:33 am »
I think you need some addition at the start of the boil to get some of that more aggressive bitterness that is typical of IPA. While I enjoy the power of FWH and it will add some bitterness I find it is too smooth on its own for some styles where the bitterness is noticeable part of the beer's profile.

But I rarely brew IPAs so take that for what it's worth.

+1. I like to split my hops by weight for FWH and 60 minute addition.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 08:40:37 am »
just for reference Frank, the all vienna IPA and PA with a little carared, and  with all mandarina i've made is really tasty....i classify them as GIPA (german IPA) and GPA (german pale ale)  :o
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 09:00:51 am »
Sounds awesome! I have a ½# each of Mandarina & Hull in my freezer that I plan on pairing with 100% pils malt. Just haven't decided yet if I want to lager it and turn it into a hoppy pils or go your route and go APA/IPA (maybe with a bit of munich). I hear they're mild by American hop standards so I was gonna go fairly heavy at around ½ oz/gal steeped and 1oz/gal dry hopped.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 09:44:44 am »
Thanks for all the comments, here's how it is shaping up:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 2015 Germerican IPA
Brewer: Frank
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.76 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 83.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
9 lbs                 Pilsner, Avangard (1.7 SRM)              Grain         1        69.2 %       
2 lbs                 Munich I (7.6 SRM)                       Grain         2        15.4 %       
2 lbs                 Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         3        15.4 %       
1.00 oz               Herkules [15.60 %] - First Wort 30.0 min Hop           4        38.1 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Herkules [15.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           5        45.1 IBUs     
1.00 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)              Fining        6        -             
1.00 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         7        -             
3.00 oz               Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 mi Hop           8        0.0 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Hull Melon [7.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min       Hop           9        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 m Yeast         10       -             
3.00 oz               Hull Melon [7.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days   Hop           11       0.0 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Hop           12       0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 21.94 qt of water at 159.4 F        148.0 F       90 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 4.08gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Just some ideas based on Label Peeler's offering

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, my plan would be to follow the Pale Ale profile from Bru'NWater, but lower the sulfate from 300 down to around 150-200? I use 100% RO and build from there
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:56:35 am by 69franx »
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 09:56:39 am »
Looks great, Frank.  Look forward to hearing what you think.
Jon H.