Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German themed IPA  (Read 8910 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: German themed IPA
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 05:17:15 am »
Wyeast 1007 is from Zum Uerige, so it is a Duesseldorf Altbier yeast. It does take some time to settle, but it will clear out if you lager at 40F for a few weeks.

The White labs equivalent strain is 036.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 06:43:25 am »
Wyeast 1007 is from Zum Uerige, so it is a Duesseldorf Altbier yeast. It does take some time to settle, but it will clear out if you lager at 40F for a few weeks.

The White labs equivalent strain is 036.

good correction Jeff.first chart i looked at had it paired with wlp029 kolsch.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 08:03:09 am »
Thanks guys, I see that all now looking at Wyeast strain chart on www.mrmalty.com
Looking at the other possibilities for German Ale yeasts, I will be going with Ken's suggestion of a clean American ale yeast. The original inspiration for this brew came from Label Peelers, I think. They were marketing a kit called Germerican IPA, with domestic malts and yeast, with German hops. I just took it further to the German side, but will now use an "American" yeast
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 08:07:14 am »
Keep us posted on this one. It's going to be great. I haven't been doing this particular theme but have really been enjoying using all German malts in my APA.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 08:11:33 am »
Will do.
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 08:12:44 am »
Not to try to change your mind, but I have brewed a "Düsseldorf IPA" before (basically an Alt brewed with an IPA hop bill using German Hops) and 1007 really highlights the "German" character quite well. It is a clean Alt yeast, and leaves a bit of that altbier fermentation profile. Either way will be fine, but I think the German yeast will really complete the style for you.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 08:23:16 am »
That's great to hear, and kind of what I was thinking originally. Now I am really torn on where I want to go with this
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 08:35:21 am »
Eric, do you think that 1007 will work well with my grist: 9#pils, 2# Munich I, 2# Vienna? It is more of an IPA than alt for several reasons: color, OG, IBUS, etc. Beersmith has me at 5.0SRM, well below Alt levels, but I am not really concerned about the numbers, just the best option for this grist and brew idea. The only items I have yet to buy are the Vienna, and the yeast, picking those up on Thursday. Maybe I run this as another split batch, half 1007, half wlp090. Best way to find out what I like, right?
Frank L.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 08:39:46 am »
Eric, do you think that 1007 will work well with my grist: 9#pils, 2# Munich I, 2# Vienna? It is more of an IPA than alt for several reasons: color, OG, IBUS, etc. Beersmith has me at 5.0SRM, well below Alt levels, but I am not really concerned about the numbers, just the best option for this grist and brew idea. The only items I have yet to buy are the Vienna, and the yeast, picking those up on Thursday. Maybe I run this as another split batch, half 1007, half wlp090. Best way to find out what I like, right?
I think the 1007 will do a great job highlighting the flavor from the German malts, while staying out of the way of the hops. I like the split batch idea, too. I think no matter what you choose, you will end up with a great beer.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 08:42:52 am »
FWIW, 1007 is a very clean strain. I say no worries, too. Just be sure to crash for a few days to get it to drop.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:16 am »
The only problem with the split batch idea is limited fermentation control. I can use my Auber dual temp controller to keep my chest freezer at one temp only. The specs say 1007 likes 55-66 and 090 likes 65-68. So I could run ferment at 65, but that is the high end for 1007. Just wondering how they turn out, and may be tough to compare the 2 batches, as only one may be at the perfect temp...
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 08:46:17 am »
Can you tell that I may stress about this until Saturday. I need a homebrew... ;D
Frank L.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:05 am »
The only problem with the split batch idea is limited fermentation control. I can use my Auber dual temp controller to keep my chest freezer at one temp only. The specs say 1007 likes 55-66 and 090 likes 65-68. So I could run ferment at 65, but that is the high end for 1007. Just wondering how they turn out, and may be tough to compare the 2 batches, as only one may be at the perfect temp...
65F should be fine at 1007. I routinely ferment it at ambient temps in my basement, so beer temp is typically mid 60's.
Eric B.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:19 am »

Frank. FWIW i pitch at 63F and have it in basement without temp control and it stays right at 65-66F for 48 hours, then i wrap it and temp goes up slowly to 68-70 over day 3-6.  if you have basement that is cool, shouldn't need temp chamber for wlp090.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »
Just finished cleaning up from this brew. I had great efficiency: 6g allows  1.065 when my target was 1.060. First experience with whole hops: I assume they are easier to deal with with a false bottom I  the kettle? I knew that's what I had for whirlpool hops so I picked up a couple paint strainer bags yesterday at the low depot. Don't know what I would have done without that... I ran 3 gallons with Wyeast 1007 and 3 gallons with WLP090. Both very fresh, no starters for only 3 gallons, as Mark says, close is good enough with great sanitation. Each half needed roughly 125B cells, so I believe I am within an order of magnitude and will only require 1 additional replication period. Thanks for all the help
Frank L.