Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German themed IPA  (Read 8826 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: German themed IPA
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 06:44:40 pm »
Here's the 2 carboy 2 days in. Lots of activity in airlocks, nice heavy Krausen on each. The 090 took a little longer to get going but is definitely more active of a ferment now. Can't wait to try these out!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 06:46:24 pm »
Guess I missed the good pic: the 090 is blowing bubbles out the top of the airlock it's going so hard. 3 gallons in 5 gallon carboy and it's putting up a good fight
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2015, 07:57:48 am »
Guess I missed the good pic: the 090 is blowing bubbles out the top of the airlock it's going so hard. 3 gallons in 5 gallon carboy and it's putting up a good fight

its pretty aggressive. 48 hours and it starts winding down quickly, so let it rise in temp to finish.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2015, 07:59:12 am »
Yea, I kicked it up 1 degree yesterday afternoon and 1 this morning, but it's running 1-2 above set point cause its working so hard
Frank L.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2015, 08:04:28 am »
Yea, I kicked it up 1 degree yesterday afternoon and 1 this morning, but it's running 1-2 above set point cause its working so hard

i usually wait for the krausen to start to fall (48 hours or so) and then ramp it up to finish 68-70F.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2015, 08:06:45 am »
Yes it's now set at 66, but was set at 65 when I woke up and was reading 67. It is definitely rocking and the 1007 is right there with it, just not quite as aggressive but still chugging along
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2015, 08:06:56 am »

its pretty aggressive. 48 hours and it starts winding down quickly, so let it rise in temp to finish.

Yeah, that stuff gets over and done quicker than any strain I've used.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2015, 01:34:23 pm »
I bottled these last night. Don't think I'm playing with whole hops in narrow neck carboys again. I put 6g allows split into 2 carboys. I should have aimed for 7 gallons. In the end, I bottled up 25 bombers plus 1 12oz bottle, for 4.4 gallons. Both smelled good. The 090 batch was already fairly clear but the 1007 will need some time to get anywhere near that clear. Samples of both were tasty and I'll see how they are in a couple weeks
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2015, 07:29:06 pm »
Well 10 days after bottling and I sampled 1 of each tonight. Here are my thoughts:
     Wyeast 1007: highly overcarbed, easily because I overestimated what was in the fermenter. After it settled, very muted flavor. Not sure if this is tied into letting it settle after opening or not, but just very bland. Nothing I would attempt again
    WLP090: Not nearly as highly carbed. Likely due to the fact it had already dropped pretty clear by the time I bottled it. It still leaves nice lacing through the glass, but only a thin head on top. The flavors here are much more pronounced.: I get some non specific citrus, a little spice (?) And a nice malt back bone. I would try this version again. Thanks Wort-H.O.G for the suggestion to try this out. It got out of the way and let me taste the malt and hops!
     Overall, I am too new to really gain much from this comparison so far, maybe as I get into the batch the 1007 will settle down, but if I get more gushers, the rest is going down the drain, with no tears. Thanks for all the input
Frank L.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 06:39:26 am »
I've also found that 1007 hangs out in suspension for some time and agree on the muted/bland flavor.  I'm keeping this yeast as a go to for sour beers and fruit beers, but that may be about it. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2015, 07:16:36 am »
There's certainly nothing muted or bland about altbiers made with this yeast!  It's very clean, but you have to drop it out first and it can be stubborn.  Traditionally beers made with this yeast are cold conditioned for several weeks.  I crash it to 32 for three days, keg with gelatin and pour brilliant beers 2-3 days later.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 07:22:18 am »
Yes, I guess I knew this, but only crashed for about 2.5 days. Maybe next time. The real tricky part as I said above was trying to deal with the whole leaf dry hops in a 5 gallon carboy
Frank L.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 07:26:03 am »
So what was your impression of the hop character?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2015, 07:35:33 am »
I liked it in the 090 batch, as I said above. Some citrus and a little spice. That's about the best my untrained palate can do. The 1007 batch on the other hand really had no hop presence that stood out. Good or bad, my thoughts while drinking it were of sipping my father's Stroh's when I was young
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2015, 07:38:45 am »
I think the dry hops were a waste for me, as I could barely get them in loose through the carboy neck. Then all they wanted to do was float and even with some swirling throughout, they were all still floating when I went to crash and even after crashing, maybe a third had dropped out. Racking from below and above 2 layers of whole hops and true was a royal PITA. May still try this whole thing again in buckets if I can get more Mandarina Bavaria and Hull Melon
Frank L.