Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Additional Dry Hops  (Read 1659 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Additional Dry Hops
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:32:30 am »
I dry hopped an ounce of Citra in my 3 gallon pale ale. It's been dry hopping for 3 days, it may go out to five or so to ensure a stable fermentation.

I'm curious if any of you have sampled beers and decided to add additional dry hops? My only concern is an extended dry hop on the original addition would lead to vegetal off flavors.   

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Additional Dry Hops
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:34:25 am »
lots of brewers do multiple dry hop additions. Vinnie at Russian River for one. You're not going to get vegetal flavors from 7 or 8 days.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:54:31 am »
+1.  I often add extra dry hops to the keg for APA and IPA when the aroma drops off, and I leave the hops in. Normally the keg is half or more gone by this point ,so it's gone in another week or two at most. But I don't get vegetal character doing this.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:36:17 am »
I dry hopped an ounce of Citra in my 3 gallon pale ale. It's been dry hopping for 3 days, it may go out to five or so to ensure a stable fermentation.

I'm curious if any of you have sampled beers and decided to add additional dry hops? My only concern is an extended dry hop on the original addition would lead to vegetal off flavors.

Have you experienced vegetal off flavors?  IMO, it's one of the bigger myths of homebrewing.  Not that it never happens, but my experience is that it happens very infrequently. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:44:46 am »

Have you experienced vegetal off flavors?  IMO, it's one of the bigger myths of homebrewing.  Not that it never happens, but my experience is that it happens very infrequently. 

I agree, Denny. I rarely notice it and I dry hop fairly often.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:46:37 am »
+1.  I often add extra dry hops to the keg for APA and IPA when the aroma drops off, and I leave the hops in. Normally the keg is half or more gone by this point ,so it's gone in another week or two at most. But I don't get vegetal character doing this.

My most recent APA turned out more malty than I was anticipating. This has happened from time to time where I am not getting the hop character that I hoped. I will throw 1-2 oz in and leave in the keg with good success. I have never had any off flavors and my kegs can last more than a couple of months. I am considering dry hopping in the keg only...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:55:58 am »
I am considering dry hopping in the keg only...

That's what I do.  A week in keg @ room temp, then add more later when the aroma drops off.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 11:42:32 am »
I am considering dry hopping in the keg only...

That's what I do.  A week in keg @ room temp, then add more later when the aroma drops off.

+1 this works well for me also
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:29:57 pm »
we had a customer leave 2 oz of falconers flight in secondary dry hop for 3 weeks! beer tasted great! go figure...

FWIW we still tend to not dry hop for more than 7 days.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 01:49:28 pm »

I agree, Denny. I rarely notice it and I dry hop fairly often.

+1 I dry hop in the keg, and rarely remove the hops / rack off them. Typically they'll end up in there for a month until the keg kicks. Once the keg is at serving temp, there's not a lot of chemistry going on.