Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pay to Play - Pretty Things Rant!  (Read 3767 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Pay to Play - Pretty Things Rant!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 02:35:25 pm »
I agree Rob. We went to the Taste of OTR this summer and were highly disappointed with the beer selection. I think they were offering all bMC products, from only one local distributor, at a small festival celebrating the great flavors of the city's brewery district. When we asked about the poor pouring selection, we were told that one distributor in town had paid for x,y&z in order to get the festival to only serve their beer. I think x y z were security, space rental, and marketing. A total disaster for what could have been a great part if the festival

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:37:10 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: Pay to Play - Pretty Things Rant!
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 12:53:15 pm »
Just bumped this as an update because I stumbled upon this: http://www.telegram.com/article/20150430/NEWS/304309758/101499
A distributer of craft beer in Massachusetts is being charged with pay-to-play apparently in response to the investigation started after the incident this thread is about.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 01:22:34 pm »
Is there more to that link than the one sentence that I can open on my phone?
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 01:33:04 pm »
Is there more to that link than the one sentence that I can open on my phone?
More than one sentence but short enough to cut and paste here:

BOSTON — State regulators say a company that distributes much of the craft beer to Massachusetts bars and liquor stores has engaged in unfair trade practices that stifle competition.

The Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission says Craft Beer Guild LLC violated a state rule against offering incentives to retailers to stock its products. The commission says the Guild has also charged different prices for the same products.
The Boston Globe, http://bit.ly/1GywGTt, reports that the charges stem from a six-month probe into pay-to-play practices that limit consumer choices by favoring one company's products over another's.

Regulators have scheduled a hearing on the charges for June 23. If the commission rules against the company, it could have its license to distribute alcohol suspended or revoked.
Craft Beer Guild did not respond to requests for comment.

EDIT: Click that link in the story and you get a bit longer from the original Globe story.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »
Thanks Pete,  knew there had to be more. They're gonna be in a bad place if they lose that case. Would not want to be the sales rep who is at the bottom of it whether they win or lose
Frank L.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 01:44:38 pm »
Thanks Pete,  knew there had to be more. They're gonna be in a bad place if they lose that case. Would not want to be the sales rep who is at the bottom of it whether they win or lose
I'm sure if it will help the company will throw the sales rep under the bus. I'm not sure what the evidence is but since its hard to find a smoking gun there's probably a pattern of behavior across the board as opposed to one rep caught doing something.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 08:40:26 am »
How much cash are we talking about? I know distributors will take care of cleaning lines, give neons and other swag. Is this part of the issue?

Distributors are supposed to clean lines, but some of the guys are slackers so it doesn't always happen. Trust me when I say you never want to use a distributors jockey box. They are disgusting.

Distributors do not give signs, they will go in on the sign with the brewery 50/50 (or there abouts).