Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: max cold cooler  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
max cold cooler
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:33:24 pm »
I'm looking into a cooler mash tun. I see some higher priced pieces called "Max cold". Would one of these be worth the extra money?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: max cold cooler
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:44:34 pm »
Max cold is igloo's version of Coleman's Xtereme line. They offer more insulation compared to a standard cooler. Both of my tuns were built using Xtreme coolers and I loose maybe 1-2° over the course of the mash.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:39 am »
I'm looking into a cooler mash tun. I see some higher priced pieces called "Max cold". Would one of these be worth the extra money?

No.  I have a regular old Rubbermaid cooler and one of the new "Extreme" coolers.  Both work just the same in terms of heat retention.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:51:01 pm »

No.  I have a regular old Rubbermaid cooler and one of the new "Extreme" coolers.  Both work just the same in terms of heat retention.

Good to know, I'll save the extra cost for ingredients.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women