Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single vs. Double Dry Hop | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 3632 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Single vs. Double Dry Hop | exBEERiment Results!
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:52:34 am »
I've heard of a few techniques for getting the most out of hops, one that I've been using is the double dry hop, which involves adding more than a single dry hop dose over the span of a few days. Convinced as I was that it contributed to better hop aroma, I finally put this one through the flimsy rigors of an xBmt. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/05/04/single-vs-double-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Single vs. Double Dry Hop | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:14:05 am »
Nice work. I quit dry hopping a long time ago. Just didn't care enough to do the extra work. Like you, I don't brew much hoppy beer anymore either. There's so much available on the market and I'm not always in the mood to drink IPA. The kind of beer I like to drink, I can hop up enough in the boil to not have to dry hop. I have a hoppy pale lager on tap right now that suits me just fine - it's all about balance!
Jesse

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:26:19 am »
Nice work. I quit dry hopping a long time ago. Just didn't care enough to do the extra work. Like you, I don't brew much hoppy beer anymore either. There's so much available on the market and I'm not always in the mood to drink IPA. The kind of beer I like to drink, I can hop up enough in the boil to not have to dry hop. I have a hoppy pale lager on tap right now that suits me just fine - it's all about balance!

Thanks! Yeah, for the most part, I get the hop character I like from the boil as well :)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:15:45 am »
Thanks for running the experiment and for posting a link to it here.  I sometimes forget all the blogs and various sites I intend to follow, so a reminder on the forum sure comes in handy!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:48:19 pm »
Great info Marshall,  good read
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 05:08:26 pm »
Nice work, Marshall. This pretty much goes along with my experience, too. I've dry hopped a multitude of ways and haven't found a difference between the two. I've always felt like the total amount of oil that comes from dry hopping is the total, regardless of how many additions it took to get there.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 06:16:24 pm »
Most important part of dry hopping is getting as much of the yeast out of solution as possible. The yeast will grab the hop resins as they fall out of solution. This may be where some of the ideas that 2 dry hoppings give better aroma since the yeast has cleared up more by the second.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:37:43 pm »
Most important part of dry hopping is getting as much of the yeast out of solution as possible. The yeast will grab the hop resins as they fall out of solution. This may be where some of the ideas that 2 dry hoppings give better aroma since the yeast has cleared up more by the second.

Yeah, I agree. I'm really sold on dry hopping clear beer. The aroma seems to last longer this way to me. I know everybody likes their way best.
Jon H.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:23:41 am »
Good read, Marshall.

Follow up question for the group: I am likely going to forgo dryhopping in the future in favor of a whirlpool addition. I believe I get similar aromas from whirlpooling and dryhopping, but I get clearer beer from the whirlpool method.

Anyone else on a whirlpool kick? Or does the xBmt team want to tackle that one?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 07:41:09 am »
Good read, Marshall.

Follow up question for the group: I am likely going to forgo dryhopping in the future in favor of a whirlpool addition. I believe I get similar aromas from whirlpooling and dryhopping, but I get clearer beer from the whirlpool method.

I whirlpool almost every beer with flavor additions, but I still dry hop some beers on occasion. I have been dry-hopping less and less, though. I haven't quite given it up on IPA's, but I may have to try it soon. I do think the character is different between the two, but the only time it really matters to me is a massively hopped beer where I want to layer both whirlpool and dry hops together.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 07:48:43 am »
I'm whirlpooling pretty much everything nowadays. For American styles, I'm pretty happy with whirlpool hops only for American amber, brown,  and stout. But for APA and AIPA I do dry hop but at a lesser amount than before. I agree that there is a different aroma character between steeped and dry hops.
Jon H.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 06:22:35 am »
Good read, Marshall.

Thanks, Amanda! I actually did a whirlpool/hopstand vs dry hop comparison a few years back. Anecdotally, and without use of a triangle test, the dry hopped batch was noticeably more aromatic. The hopstand batch was his t with the same amount of hops once chilled to ~175F. That said, many people preferred the hop character on the hopstand batch. I definitely plan to redo this one as a formal xBmt.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 07:02:59 pm »
Good read, Marshall.

Thanks, Amanda! I actually did a whirlpool/hopstand vs dry hop comparison a few years back. Anecdotally, and without use of a triangle test, the dry hopped batch was noticeably more aromatic. The hopstand batch was his t with the same amount of hops once chilled to ~175F. That said, many people preferred the hop character on the hopstand batch. I definitely plan to redo this one as a formal xBmt.

Love the write-up and info on the site!  Nice Job!  I too would be interested in seeing an updated version of the whirlpool vs dry hop xBmt come to light. 

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
Single vs. Double Dry Hop | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 09:25:10 pm »
Good read, Marshall.

Love the write-up and info on the site!  Nice Job!  I too would be interested in seeing an updated version of the whirlpool vs dry hop xBmt come to light.
For sure! Are you thinking something similar to what I did before (175F hopstand with no dry hop vs dry hop with no hopstand) or something different?
I'll be brewing an xBmt beer I plan to bring with me to NHC next week, I'll probably get back to this one soon after the conference. Cheers!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 09:41:22 pm »
Good read, Marshall.

For sure! Are you thinking something similar to what I did before (175F hopstand with no dry hop vs dry hop with no hopstand) or something different?
I'll be brewing an xBmt beer I plan to bring with me to NHC next week, I'll probably get back to this one soon after the conference. Cheers!
Marshall,

One thing I'd like to see if you revisit this topic is to see how well the hop character holds up over time between the two. In other words, run a sensory panel early on, then repeat it after maybe 2 months and 6 months (or something along those lines). I don't doubt that a dry-hopped beer will likely have more hop aromatics early on, but my experience leads me to believe that "hot side" additions hold up better over time. It would be interesting to see that one tested out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer