Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NSF Keg  (Read 2883 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
NSF Keg
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:22:17 pm »
What would the differences be between an NSF rated keg and one that isn't?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: NSF Keg
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:32:09 pm »
It's a third party that inspects an item to ensure it complies with applicable regulations for its use. I know AiH has(d) kegs that were from a manufacture that has since been certified, but they are moving the old stock out before new stock.

http://www.nsf.org/regulatory/regulator-nsf-certification/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:35:24 pm »
It's a third party that inspects an item to ensure it complies with applicable regulations for its use. I know AiH has(d) kegs that were from a manufacture that has since been certified, but they are moving the old stock out before new stock.

http://www.nsf.org/regulatory/regulator-nsf-certification/

That is true.

One can start to see NSF certification on many items once you are aware of what that logo means.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »
I know what the rating is, I'm just curious if it's worth getting a non-NSF keg. FWIW, it's already ordered, just curious for future purchases.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 05:44:47 pm »
I know what the rating is, I'm just curious if it's worth getting a non-NSF keg. FWIW, it's already ordered, just curious for future purchases.
I bought 2 from AiH, and had seen the U.S. Lab analysis if the steel. No worries here. The new kegs will be the n same but with the NSF stamp.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 06:06:19 pm »
I wouldn't worry either if I trusted the source. AiH has a solid reputation and I have been more than happy with their service.

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:56:25 am »
My opinion only: I think it's more of a "feel good" for those concerned. I'm not familiar with the NSF certification but assuming the NSF certification is for use as a pressure vessel rated to X pounds. The steel and welds would be tested as such, if it's a non automated welding process, there is the possibility the person welding could have a "bad day" producing one bad keg. NSF certification cannot prevent "operator error".

However the fact that the manufacturer went through the trouble of getting it certified which includes periodic inspections/sampling, does go a long way to put my mind at ease that they are producing and want to produce a quality product. In other words it's not just some schmuck welding tanks in his garage.  ;)

Worth a few extra bucks to me, but I would not worry about it either.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:41:28 am »
My opinion only: I think it's more of a "feel good" for those concerned. I'm not familiar with the NSF certification but assuming the NSF certification is for use as a pressure vessel rated to X pounds. The steel and welds would be tested as such, if it's a non automated welding process, there is the possibility the person welding could have a "bad day" producing one bad keg. NSF certification cannot prevent "operator error".

However the fact that the manufacturer went through the trouble of getting it certified which includes periodic inspections/sampling, does go a long way to put my mind at ease that they are producing and want to produce a quality product. In other words it's not just some schmuck welding tanks in his garage.  ;)

Are the materials food safe is a big part of the NSF rating.
http://www.nsf.org
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 01:09:57 pm »
Can you trust anything from China to not be a forgery?  Since they've been caught putting toxics in toothpaste, drywall and pet treats, I'll stick with Italian, Indian, or used American tanks before I'll buy Chinese.  Just, one biggot's opinion.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 05:11:07 pm »

What would a "bad day" welding a keg look like? Out of curiosity, does this mean you'll get leaks or something won't be sanitary?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 06:56:26 pm »
What would a "bad day" welding a keg look like? Out of curiosity, does this mean you'll get leaks or something won't be sanitary?

I'd be more concerned with corrosion.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 07:00:57 pm »

Poor welds could cause leaks and or failure under pressure.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN