Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC San Diego- Can't decide.......  (Read 4561 times)

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
NHC San Diego- Can't decide.......
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:54:08 am »
Hey guys,
Can't believe I am even writing this but I am having a hard time convincing myself to go to the NHC in San Diego. I have never been to a NHC and I only live 3.5 hours from San Diego so it would seem like a slam dunk. Between the cost of the conference, hotel room, meals, and time away from the family.... The biggest draw for me is the presentations....but the AHA puts those online. I am sure the beers are great.....but I will spending several hundred dollars to drink homebrew? So past attendees....PLEASE convince me to go!! What am I missing here?

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Re: NHC San Diego- Can't decide.......
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:00:55 am »
Hey guys,
Can't believe I am even writing this but I am having a hard time convincing myself to go to the NHC in San Diego. I have never been to a NHC and I only live 3.5 hours from San Diego so it would seem like a slam dunk. Between the cost of the conference, hotel room, meals, and time away from the family.... The biggest draw for me is the presentations....but the AHA puts those online. I am sure the beers are great.....but I will spending several hundred dollars to drink homebrew? So past attendees....PLEASE convince me to go!! What am I missing here?

That close and you don't go, you WILL regret it. I had just started home brewing the year before the NHC came to Minneapolis, did not go, even though it was only 30 minutes away. I had no idea what I was missing and I regret it all the time. Went to my first in Michigan it was great. Homebrewers are THE BEST people you will ever meet, don't go just for the presentations, or to drink homebrew, go for the experience and camaraderie. You will not regret it.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:12:34 am »
Best 3 days of beer related activities ever!

This will be number 10 for me and the wife.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:20:19 am »
...but I will spending several hundred dollars to drink homebrew?

Yes. And you will LOVE it.

But seriously? Just go. You will love it. We drove 11.5 hours each way last year and are going back this year again. Like Jeff said, best 3 days of beer related activities ever.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:42:58 am »
I've been brewing for 20 some years and this will be my first NHC. I'm looking forward to meeting the people and taking in the sessions. I've been to a few of the smaller homebrewing events and always had a good time and picked up some good information. Now that I'm semi-retired I may be taking in a few more.

So, I urge you to just do it.

Bruce

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:20 am »
And don't forget the potential forum meet up with Denny, Drew, AmandaK, and others. 

I'm bummed I can't make it this year (I mean it is on the other corner of the country for me).  It's a great time to meet and talk with other homebrewers, have face-to-face time with the "celebrities" on an equal basis, form friendships, and of course, try all kinds of beer, mead and cider - homebrew and commercial.

The pre-conference events are usual great too - The BN anniversary party, brewery tours (a lot of time with some special things you don't see on the normal tours), etc.

It's also a chance to get some hands on with the equipment and ingredient suppliers in the homebrewing industry.

Did I mention you may see Denny and/or Drew?  That should be enough! :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:53:03 am »
Trust me, you won't regret going. What you will regret is every year you miss one. I will not be going this year and I totally regret that!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 10:59:51 am »
Can't believe I am even writing this but I am having a hard time convincing myself to go to the NHC in San Diego. I have never been to a NHC and I only live 3.5 hours from San Diego so it would seem like a slam dunk.

I am in the same boat, but I live even closer and already registered.  I just haven't booked the hotel yet.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:45:44 am »
The online seminra will never be able to get across what happens in real time....especially for Drew and me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:01:27 pm »
Trust me, NHC is anything but boring.  Where else can one find the FBI and the MOB happily coexisting in the same building? :)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 12:03:44 pm »
The online seminra will never be able to get across what happens in real time....especially for Drew and me.

At Grand Rapids it was the best way to start a Saturday morning...plus all of these guys are genuinely approachable and they didn't seemed creeped out by the beer geek attention they were getting!  Maybe they really are just like the rest of us.

If you can go, you should go.  They may have limited conference tickets, rather than the whole shebang, but if it were me, I would opt for the whole shebang.  Plus you can get some great feedback from knowledgable Brewers, if you bring some homebrew.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 12:04:32 pm »
Trust me, you won't regret going. What you will regret is every year you miss one. I will not be going this year and I totally regret that!

Same here. :(
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 12:47:58 pm »
Where else can you go and talk about beer and drink beer with like minded people for 3 days?  The seminars are awesome and as others have said, they listening to them as a podcast or on video don't do them justice and club night is a blast.

I have been to the last four and am bummed I am not going to make it this year.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 01:36:08 pm »
Since 1996 I have missed 3 cities and I regret each one.  Every year you go, you make new friends, so that by the time you've attended three or four, it seems like you know everybody or that everybody knows you - kinda like "Norm!"
It's not just the beer.  It's not just the seminars.  It's not just the chance to explore a new city.  It's the people.
I am looking forward to seeing a couple thousand of my best buds at my 16th conference.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 02:32:40 pm »
 I was shut out of Seattle (and I am still bummed about that), hit Philly for my first, Michigan for my second, and decided for family's sake to skip San Diego....and boy, am I regretting that decision...enough to start to fantasize about excuses to make up to get to go.

The seminars are interesting, but they are the least part about the conference.  Your fellow AHA members are the real value.  The only issue is that it goes by too fast...it could easily be a week long (who could afford that!).

Go if you can.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...