Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tap It IPA  (Read 2028 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Tap It IPA
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »
Any happen to have a recipe of this beer? A friend tried some recently, loved it and asked if I could find a recipe and brew it.  A net search didn't seem to find anything.
I've written the brewery but am not expecting them to share but you never know.  But if someone has tried this, I'd like to ask if you'd share the recipe.
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:26:49 pm by beerlord »

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
Re: Tap It IPA
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:33:53 pm »
No recipe,  but I had one last night.  Good beer.  They are a fairly new brewery.  Still small mostly only available near SLO County. I'm heading up there next weekend. I'll ask them if I get a chance to stop by the tasting room.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:08 pm »
Thanks, I'd very much appreciate finding out whatever you can. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »
Also, you'd be surprised at the number of breweries that will give you info on their beers if you ask for it. Send 'em an email.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:20:42 pm »
Most breweries have enough info on their label and/or website to make a first pass at the recipe. It's 7% ABV, their distributor lists it at 72 IBU's on their webpage. They mention FWH, medium caramel malt, Citra and Simcoe in the description. Never having tried the beer, my WAG for a first pass at a recipe would be:

1.070 OG

95% 2-row
5% Crystal 40

72 IBU's FWH using equal amounts of Citra and Simcoe
2 oz each at flameout
2 oz each for dry hops

Cal ale yeast fermented low 60's

I doubt it would be a dead-on clone, but I do this all the time to ballpark a first-pass at a recipe based on a beer I like. Usually there's enough information available to make a guesstimate at a starting recipe with just a little bit of digging. Start at the simplest possible recipe, then adjust to taste.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:31:13 pm »
+1.  I've put together several recipes by doing this. There's a pretty good beer bar here that gives detailed descriptions of their draft beers. I tried an IPA once there that I loved from a small brewery, and the description gave abv, IBUs, and hop varieties. It was pale orange and dry, with no yeast character. Not too tough from there ! And my beer was pretty close.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:43:21 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline joesl8

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 05:13:41 pm »
Emailed tap it several months ago... Glad I didn't hold my breath since they never had the nerve to even reply. Still a great beer, and I'm still going to try to figure out the recipe!