Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC San Diego- Can't decide.......  (Read 4558 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: NHC San Diego- Can't decide.......
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2015, 10:56:14 am »
What are Drew and I, chopped liver?  ;)

You guys were the liveliest and most entertaining session at NHC 2014.

Thanks, Mark.  We hope to top that this year!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2015, 01:46:52 pm »
Ok, I'm going to try to make it (provided there's no issue with my taking the time off work).

I wonder if there are still hotel rooms available at the main site.  I guess I'll look into that this weekend.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 01:49:47 pm »
Ok, I'm going to try to make it (provided there's no issue with my taking the time off work).

I wonder if there are still hotel rooms available at the main site.  I guess I'll look into that this weekend.
If you can't book one, watch for offers to share on here. A10t2, also known as Sean made his own humorous offer to share (sort of) the room.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2015, 01:51:49 pm »
Between the cost of the conference, hotel room, meals, and time away from the family....

FWIW, I can't imagine having something like this within driving distance and not going.

If it helps, it sounds like Keith's out, so I have half a hotel room available. It's the half without the bathroom, but still.

If you're serious, I'll take you up on that offer.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline kwojdak

• 1st Kit
  • Elk Grove Village, IL
    • Kilted Hop Brewing
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 09:50:53 am »
My wife and I attended the 2014 NHC in Grand Rapids for the first time. We attended with a group of about 15-20 of our club members and participated in Club Night and Social Club. We're part of the Urban Knaves of Grain homebrew club from DuPage County, IL and we were dressed as the Monks and Nuns on Club night.

I didn't even get to enjoy half of what the conference had to offer due to running around and doing things with our club memebrs and sampling the local city brews. But, while there, we were having such a great time and meeting great people, we decided then and there that we were going to San Diego in 2015.

We're excited to be going there this year and made a vacation out of the trip taking some time in LA before the conference and extra time in SD after the conference.

And, this year, I will be getting to more of the seminars and such.

All-in-all, I'd tell you to go for it. With the conference being close to home, it gives you a great opportunity to check it out with a smaller investment than traveling out of state.
Thanks,
Woj
(aka Kevin Wojdak)

Brewmaster
Kilted Hop Brewing

Urban Knaves of Grain
DuPage County, Illinois

Offline chezhed

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 10:17:47 am »
I am registered...but now may not be able to attend. It was to be my first conference :-\....still not sure and won't know till the end of the week.  I recently opened a small LHBS and have industry track registration along with banquet tickets...all for 2.  I sure hope to use them but in the event we cannot make it, I might be able to offer some tickets if they are needed.

I read a lot here....don't post...just learn ;)

Offline brewcnc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 02:53:05 pm »
This will be my fifth and I've really enjoyed each and every one of them.  For my money, the Philadelphia AHA Conference was the gold standard.  The hotel and layout were superb, the exhibititon center was huge and the acoustics were good and the Philadelphia beer scene was very, very impressive.

What I was not crazy about in Grand Rapids was the way the home brews at the exhibition hall were somewhat overshadowed by the number of commrcial breweries that were serving their beer.  In Philly, only Moonlight Meadery poured commercial products; last year there were numerous commercial breweries.  They tended to take away from the homebrews that were being poured in the exhibition hall.  Our club brought 24 kegs from NC based on the fact that we blew all of our kegs in Philly and we didn't come close in Grand rapids; most our kegs went during the set up in the exhibition hall in Philly.  I can fully understand that sponsorship is key but it shouldn't come at the expense of homebrew.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2015, 03:16:17 pm »
This will be my fifth and I've really enjoyed each and every one of them.  For my money, the Philadelphia AHA Conference was the gold standard.  The hotel and layout were superb, the exhibition center was huge and the acoustics were good and the Philadelphia beer scene was very, very impressive.

I will have to disagree about the acoustics.  I could not stay long in the hall where they held pro night or club night due to the noise.  Otherwise it was a great conference.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:49:01 pm by dbeechum »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline YooperBrew

• Cellarman
  • Beer Geek
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »
This will be my fifth and I've really enjoyed each and every one of them.  For my money, the Philadelphia AHA Conference was the gold standard.  The hotel and layout were superb, the exhibition center was huge and the acoustics were good and the Philadelphia beer scene was very, very impressive.

I will have to disagree about the acoustics.  I could not stay long in the hall where they held pro night or club night due to the noise.  Otherwise it was a great conference.

I didn't have any problems with noise there at all.  I had more of an issue in Grand Rapids.

I don't recall how many conferences I've been to, but my first was in 2008. so, let's see how many years that is......more than a few but not as many as I hope to get to over the next few years!

I have a great time, and see old friends and meet new ones every year.  I'm really looking forward to this one again.

Since my husband has only gone once (he hates being away from home in the summer), I go solo but it doesn't ever feel like that.  I enjoy the seminars, going on brewery tours (I always go early just for this), seeing friends, judging the NHC, and enjoying the best beer I've ever had. 

It really is a great experience, and if it's in your backyard you may really regret missing it.  I live in the  middle of nowhere, without even a freeway within 150 miles, but I still manage to go almost every year!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 06:20:28 am »

Same here...I couldn't hear the opening speeches and I was only about 50 feet from the stage.  But the layout was nice and getting to experience the Lagunitas geiser was special.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:56 pm »

I have never been to a NHC and I only live 3.5 hours from San Diego
You answered your own question here.  New experience, relatively close to home.  I definitely understand the family thing, but I plan on attending one of these relatively soon.  Unfortunately, a trip across the country won't be happening for me this year. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2015, 11:54:24 am »
I wish I could fit it in, but , alas, no NHC for me this year...Amanda's Beet Berliner (2014) is now a distant memory, but I hope to make it next year.  And with Woj from UKG going, I know it will be fun for all who attend - he may wear his kilt (or vice versa).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"