Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raspberries in a "sour"?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
Raspberries in a "sour"?
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:05:43 pm »
I'm disappointed in a sour beer that I made back in January and am looking to tart it up a little bit with raspberries. Anybody have advice on how much to use and best practices? It's a oats/wheat based beer, 4% and at about 1.008 right now. I don't want mouth-puckering, but rather a nice tang.
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline therealmccoy

• 1st Kit
Re: Raspberries in a "sour"?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:22:08 pm »
1 lb per gallon, freeze them and leave in secondary for 7-12 days.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »
A can of the Oregon Fruit Raspberry puree is easy to use and a pretty good amount for a light colored beer. You could also add a touch of lactic acid to increase the tartness.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 06:08:28 am »
A can of the Oregon Fruit Raspberry puree is easy to use and a pretty good amount for a light colored beer. You could also add a touch of lactic acid to increase the tartness.

^^This.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:51:28 am »
I'm disappointed in a sour beer that I made back in January and am looking to tart it up a little bit with raspberries. Anybody have advice on how much to use and best practices? It's a oats/wheat based beer, 4% and at about 1.008 right now. I don't want mouth-puckering, but rather a nice tang.
What did you pitch, and what was your method?

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:52:28 pm »
Add the puree at bottling?

It was a Roselare yeast. Just smack pack. A few people advised against a starter.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 07:04:20 pm »
Roselare is a little low or slow to sour in my limited experience. How long has it been going? I did a cherry and a peach with it last year. After two months in primary I added fruit. After a total of about 8 months I bottled. After 2 months in the bottle its pretty nice.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 07:14:34 pm »
You need to let the puree referment. It is literally pureed raspberries. Put it in your fermenter and let it go for at least a couple of weeks. Chill the fermenter, transfer the beer without taking a bunch of the puree at the bottom and bottle or keg.

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:37:35 pm »
Very helpful stuff. Thanks so much. I've been fermenting for 5 months. The aroma is there, but not much sourness in the flavor. Sounds like the canned raspberries are the way to go.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »
You probably know, but just in case, there will be a second krausen. Probably not to violent, but be prepared. Also, if you can, purge the headspace with co2 before you dump in the fruit. Kinda limits o2 exposure so you dont get too much acetic (vinegar). The cherries will bring their own tartness to the party, and the lacto in your bugs might chow down on the simpler sugars and kick up the sourness a notch.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 08:33:12 am »
The majority of the sourness is going to show up when pedio kicks in around 6-8 months after pitching, right about the time brett is really hitting its stride as well. The lacto in Roeselare isn't particularly aggressive so I'm not surprised you aren't seeing much sourness yet. This beer just needs time.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing