Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgium, Ireland - Where do I drink?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline mort

• 1st Kit
Belgium, Ireland - Where do I drink?
« on: April 18, 2015, 12:51:20 pm »
I am going to Brussels for 3 days, Bruges for one and Ireland for four (Dublin, Knock, Dingle Peninsula) and need beer recommendations.  Any recommendations??  Thanks! Mort

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Belgium, Ireland - Where do I drink?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:00:54 pm »
It is touristy, but be sure to hit up the Gravity Bar at Guinness. Great view and the beer is great. Beyond that I am zero help. Last time i was in either country was college. Back then quantity was more important back then.

Spend as much time in the Irish countryside as possible. Small pubs with drunk locals are a riot.

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »
might want to try the national irish homebrewers:   http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php

Offline porterpounder

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 04:30:11 pm »
Cambrinus and Belgian Beertje in Brugge. You'll never forget it.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 04:33:15 pm »
Brussels is easy... you have to hit Delerium Cafe, Cantillon,  Moeder Lambic, and there's lots of other options around town.  Timmermans was also a cool tour... although they are owned by the Martins hotel conglomerate , you can see some great lambic history in a museum upstairs and they also have pumped a lot of money into restoring the brewery.  In Brugge, Le Trappiste is an awesome bar in a Medieval brick basement with a great selection.  Fort Lapin is a cool  micro/nano brewery that has the spirit of an American small brewery with great Belgian beer .

Not sure about Ireland, but they actually bottle Guinness at Timmermans from some contracting agreement!  Maybe you could ask for one and skip the Irish leg of the tour.  I like the Green/Yellow Spot whisky but the beer will be disappointing after Belgium.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:36:36 pm by narvin »

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 06:43:10 am »
Typical stuff in Dingle, but there is a brewery (Dingle Brewing ...go figure) on Spa Rd., not too far from town.  You could probably walk to it, depending on where you start from.  Unfortunately, we were not able to make it when I was there last April.  Most of the places in town are your typical tourist-y selections.

If you have the chance, make sure to take the drive out around Dingle Peninsula...fantastic views. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:07:00 am »
You find a lot of stuff here: http://www.ratebeer.com/places/countries/23/; also here: http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/BestPlaces-Country2015.asp

If you are into sour beers (duh!, why else come to Belgium) and you're in Belgium on a Sunday, go to In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst (I think it's in the top 5 or so of all pubs in the world). It's unique in the world, I mean it!

If you are in Belgium on a Saturday afternoon you can combine Westvleteren (you can't visit the abbey, but there's a famous pub close by, where you can buy six-packs) with De Struise Brouwers. At De Struise you can even barbecue your food!

In Antwerp go to the Kulminator. I think it's also in the top 10 of the world. Closed on Sundays. Be sure to check the opening hours before you go there.

Etc. etc. etc.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:13:52 am »
Cambrinus and Belgian Beertje in Brugge. You'll never forget it.

The pub is called 't Brugs Beertje. Tourist trap ;-) Try http://www.ratebeer.com/p/cafe-rose-red-brugge/17000/, much better selection.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 07:36:05 am »
I was in Dublin for a couple of days last year. I have to say I'm not a fan of Irish beers (but I'm Belgian, so what can you expect). There's a brewpub in Temple Bar: http://www.ratebeer.com/p/the-porterhouse-temple-bar-dublin/4172/ that I found to be a bit better than all the usual suspects.
Frank P.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 03:59:02 am »
Narvin's suggestions for Brussels are solid, but unless you're looking for a specific, hard-to-find beer, I'd avoid Delerium. I'd add Délice et Caprices and Neutnigenough to the list. Otherwise, just wander around and drop in if a place looks interesting. Maybe pick up a copy of Around Brussels in 80 Beers for the outlying areas.

Offline stevecrawshaw

• Cellarman
    • My Recipes
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 11:34:50 am »
La morte Subite just off grand place in brussels is a lovely beer cafe with authentic 1920's interior. De Garre in Bruges is an intimate bar between the castle and grand place - down a *tiny* alley so small you will easily miss it. great service and free cheese!
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 08:25:52 am »
"anywhere and everywhere" for these two countries.  pubs galore and so many great places to just stumble upon.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline shuckit

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 08:10:20 pm »
I liked Café Rose Red and Comptoir des Arts in Brugge.