Author Topic: New 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines have been released  (Read 2653 times)

Offline santoch

• Brewmaster
  • North Bend, WA
    • View Profile
    • WAHA
New 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines have been released
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:14:30 AM »
From the BJCP Web Site: http://www.bjcp.org
May 2015

New Style Guidelines Released

The long-awaited 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines are now complete, and have been released for use. There are now separate documents for Beer, Mead, and Cider styles, which allows them to be updated in the future on different schedules. The documents are currently available in PDF and Word formats from the Style Center. The 2008 guidelines are still available for use.

BJCP exams will begin to use the 2015 guidelines on exams given in November 2015. More information will be posted as it is available. Tests prior to 1 November 2015 will be based on the 2008 guidelines.

BJCP-sanctioned competitions may use either set of guidelines. Check with individual competition organizers for specific rules. The BJCP expects that by the end of 2015, all competitions will use the 2015 guidelines.

Note that most style-related documents and information posted refers to the 2008 guidelines. As additional formats and translations are available, we will note that in the Style Center.
Steve
Mt. Si Brewing Society
Washington Homebrewer's Association (WAHA)
BJCP GM2/Mead Judge

Offline ynotbrusum

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
Re: New 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines have been released
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
I have an early June Tasting Exam, so I will hold off reviewing the 2015 Style Guidelines until after that...then dig in for the comps that start using them this year and next.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »
It will be interesting to see who will be the first major competition to use the new guidelines and how smooth it goes.  I'm guessing that NHC2016 will be using the new guidelines then?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:59:54 PM »
It will be interesting to see who will be the first major competition to use the new guidelines and how smooth it goes.  I'm guessing that NHC2016 will be using the new guidelines then?

yeah we've talked about how the increase in number of categories could be problematic for NHC - assuming your max size is set by the max size of the Final Round, that trickles down to only 8-ish First Round regions if you have 40 categories.

I would hope they use a modified alternate categorization, similar to #2, from page 72, with at least two exceptions:  Make Specialty IPA and American Wild Ale their own categories.  Going from 23 to 25 beer categories wouldn't be nearly so painful, and those 2 categories will be extremely popular. 

(My name is on the front page!  "Things are going to start happening to me now!")   ;D

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »
(My name is on the front page!  "Things are going to start happening to me now!")   ;D

They contributed one of my (half dozen or so) comments!  I'm an uncredited contributor!  Woo-hoo!  ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »

Final Review no less.  So when people start complaining, the Review and Commentary guys are going to blame you :)

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
Does anyone believe that we will eventually reach a point where there will be specialized certification within the beer categories? 

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
I really hope that I passed the BJCP exam in February otherwise I'm going to have to study a lot more.

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »

"The BJCP expects that by the end of 2015, all competitions will use the 2015 guidelines."

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 03:37:08 PM »
Does anyone believe that we will eventually reach a point where there will be specialized certification within the beer categories?

I think for some categories we will have to and specifically for brett/sour. They have to be judged differently (e.g. what is a flaw in many styles is desired in these beers) and many judges are either inexperienced or recalcitrant to judge them. Having another certification available for the group of styles would encourage the development of a curriculum and adequate training. As it is now there is no chance I waste bottles of two year old brett beer to get back judging sheets marking down the beer for lacking acidity or being too phenolic.

I could see merit in developing specialized certifications in other groupings, like regional/national style groupings, but I don't think that as critical to the goal of objective judging.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 03:41:16 PM »

I think it would be a good idea.  We'd have more judges because it would be far easier to be excellent at 1-3 styles.  The hard part would be at the level of managing judges & competitions - but that's what we have computers for right?

I vote yes.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »
Hey everyone, the new guidelines are out!

Oh, dang. I'm late. I feel like I waited all year to see the ball drop, then slept through it.

I'm stoked about the way the American Wild Ale came out. Now my tasty beer wont be gouged for not being flat and not tasting like blue cheese and sweat socks. The only slight bummer will be entering a fruited one and a non fruited and end up competing against yourself. But thats a good problem to have.

I like a lot of the other changes too. Good job BJCP!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »

I think it would be a good idea.  We'd have more judges because it would be far easier to be excellent at 1-3 styles.  The hard part would be at the level of managing judges & competitions - but that's what we have computers for right?

I vote yes.
I like the idea. But im also not organizing education or exams, so its easy to like ideas since there's no effort involved. My take on it is that why competitions give judges an opportunity to select what styles they prefer to judge, and which styles they don't want to judge. Those check boxes aren't meant to get judges on the beers they like to chug, and away from the styles they dislike. It should be about your knowledge on those styles. In other words, if all one knows about a certain style is what the guidelines say, for example you've never tasted one... you ought to check the box that you can't judge those. Check the prefered box on the styles you really know.

Its an interesting "perfect world" idea, but I can't imagine the organization nightmare that would go into it.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • View Profile
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 11:19:27 PM »
I'm stoked about the changes, I think it'll make things better for entrants and judges. Plus, I just love change!