Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC forum meetup  (Read 8650 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: NHC forum meetup
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 10:16:49 am »
Meetup will be Fri. from 11:15AM-12:15 PM.  I'll post the room ASAP!

We'll be in the San Diego room.  That means that we will be able to share homebrew but not commercial beer.  Due to CA laws, the AHA needs to maintain a strict separation.  Is that OK with everyone, or would you rather be in a room with commercial beer but no homebrew?  You have until the end of the week to register your opinion so Matt and I can decide.  There will be blank nametages so you can wrote your forum handle on them to ID yourself.  Anything else we need?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:12:00 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:38 am »
There will be blank nametages so you can wrote your forum handle on them to OD yourself. 

;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 11:01:56 am »
We'll be in the San Diego room.  That means that we will be able to share homebrew but not commercial beer.  Due to CA laws, the AHA needs to maintain a strict separation.
I'm fine with that for the forum meetup, but really confused as to how that's going to work for seminars and the banquet.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
There will be blank nametages so you can wrote your forum handle on them to OD yourself. 

;D

HAHAHAHA!  Corrected!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 11:13:20 am »
We'll be in the San Diego room.  That means that we will be able to share homebrew but not commercial beer.  Due to CA laws, the AHA needs to maintain a strict separation.
I'm fine with that for the forum meetup, but really confused as to how that's going to work for seminars and the banquet.

AFAIK, most seminar rooms will be commercial only and seminars that serve homebrew will be in SD room.  No idea how that's gonna work for the banquet.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 11:54:00 am »
AFAIK, most seminar rooms will be commercial only and seminars that serve homebrew will be in SD room.  No idea how that's gonna work for the banquet.
So, they're going to tell people not to share homebrew during seminars in the 'commercial' rooms?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 12:11:11 pm »
So, they're going to tell people not to share homebrew during seminars in the 'commercial' rooms?
Most likely have security at the front door.  Does the CA law allow them to bring their own commercial beer into the banquet or does it need to be served by the resort?  We used to argue with guests about that when I worked in the MA hotel business years ago.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 12:12:37 pm »
There are 50 states, 50 sets of alcohol laws. The AHA needs to make the rules clear to the Conference attendees so it is understood upfront.

The banquet will have beers on the table from Sam Adams (if sponsoring again this year), so that will be a commercial beer venue.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 12:25:50 pm »

I believe the seminars are on lunch break at that time.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 12:27:15 pm »
There are 50 states, 50 sets of alcohol laws. The AHA needs to make the rules clear to the Conference attendees so it is understood upfront.

The banquet will have beers on the table from Sam Adams (if sponsoring again this year), so that will be a commercial beer venue.

Even though there are 50 states, I'm willing to bet there are at least 55-60 sets of alcohol laws.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 12:46:57 pm »
I believe the seminars are on lunch break at that time.
I was referring to the practice of people bringing homebrew to seminars and the banquet for impromptu sharing.  It was completely normal last year.  There was a mix of commercial and homebrew being shared at our table at the banquet.  If this isn't legally allowed in CA, I expect that's the law that was being mentioned as a hurdle that still had to be jumped to be able to hold NHC in San Diego this year.
Even though there are 50 states, I'm willing to bet there are at least 55-60 sets of alcohol laws.
Honestly, there are going to be a lot more than that.  Generally speaking, there are federal and state laws which will get you to 51.  That's not even considering the local laws in states like mine, where there are dry and wet parishes/counties as well as lots of other local restrictions like blue laws restricting things further.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 12:48:44 pm »
Yeah, the Federal laws, and DC which is sort of the Wild West.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 02:51:19 pm »
I'm gonna go rogue here with my thoughts.  This is the American HOMEBREWERS Association.  It's the National HOMEBREW Conference.  If there's a conflict between homebrew and commercial beer, 86 the commercial beer.  I can live without it.  I'm there for the homebrew, after all.  I realize this viewpoint won't be widely shared and sure, like everybody else I'd love to have both.  But if having commercial beer is gonna limit access to homebrew, ditch the commercial beer.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 02:55:20 pm »
I'm gonna go rogue here with my thoughts.  This is the American HOMEBREWERS Association.  It's the National HOMEBREW Conference.  If there's a conflict between homebrew and commercial beer, 86 the commercial beer.  I can live without it.  I'm there for the homebrew, after all.  I realize this viewpoint won't be widely shared and sure, like everybody else I'd love to have both.  But if having commercial beer is gonna limit access to homebrew, ditch the commercial beer.
Brilliant! If I were going, I'd say double hell ya!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 02:59:44 pm »
Point of fact: Rogue is a commercial brewer.  ;)

That being said, yeah.  If I can't share homebrew at a homebrewers conference seminar, what's the floccing point?