Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flavor Question  (Read 813 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Flavor Question
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:52:27 pm »
So it's been a couple of weeks since I bottled my Rye Pale Ale. (80% 2-row, 15% Rye, 5% Melanoiden). I'm curious if the flavor I'm getting is related to a "green" beer. It's tough to describe, but is almost a small amount of puckering. Not sour, but there is a somewhat powerful flavor in my cheeks when I sample it.

There is most likely too much Citra going on, maybe that's what I'm tasting. The hops were as follows;

-Magnum @60 (.32 ounces)
-Centinennial @15 (.29 ounces)
-Citra @5 (.69 ounces)
-Citra @ Flameout (.43 ounces)
-Citra Dry hop (3 ounces)

**3 Gallon recipe, IBU's were estimated at 52

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Flavor Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 05:51:35 pm »
So it's been a couple of weeks since I bottled my Rye Pale Ale. (80% 2-row, 15% Rye, 5% Melanoiden). I'm curious if the flavor I'm getting is related to a "green" beer. It's tough to describe, but is almost a small amount of puckering. Not sour, but there is a somewhat powerful flavor in my cheeks when I sample it.

There is most likely too much Citra going on, maybe that's what I'm tasting. The hops were as follows;

-Magnum @60 (.32 ounces)
-Centinennial @15 (.29 ounces)
-Citra @5 (.69 ounces)
-Citra @ Flameout (.43 ounces)
-Citra Dry hop (3 ounces)

**3 Gallon recipe, IBU's were estimated at 52

astringency possible with puckering sensation:

Simply drink some young red wine, suck on a tea bag, or help yourself to a nice big piece of under-ripe fruit. That dry, puckery, thirst-inducing sensation is astringency.

Astringency is sometimes described as tannic, owing to the tannins (polyphenol compounds found in plants) responsible for that parched feeling in your mouth. And while tannins are integral to a well-aged Cabernet Sauvignon, they’re rarely welcome in your homebrew. Several suspects can cause astringency, but the primary culprit is grain. Grain husks are rich in tannins, and under certain conditions, these compounds might make a beeline for your wort. Here are some of those circumstances and how to avoid them.

Steeping too long, too hot, or too wet. If you steep specialty grains, it’s possible to extract tannins with too much time, temperature, or water. Simply limit the steep to half an hour or so, make sure the temperature doesn’t exceed 168-170°F (76°C), and use 2 quarts of water or less for every pound of grain (4 liters per kilogram).
    Elevated mash pH. If your tap water tastes good, this probably isn’t an issue for you. But if you adjust your water with lots of brewing salts, you may be pushing the pH too high. Buy some pH strips and measure the pH of the mash (not the brewing water) about 15 minutes in. If it’s around 5.2 to 5.6, you’re fine, but if it approaches 5.8 or higher, consider brewing with bottled water next time or incorporating some acidulated malt (Sauermalz) into the grist.
    Elevated sparge pH. This applies primarily to those who practice continuous (fly) sparging. You want the sparge water pH to remain under 6.0, which may require acidification if your tap water is alkaline. A convenient way to do this is to doctor your sparge water with a measured amount of lactic acid, available at any homebrew store. Also, monitor the specific gravity as wort leaves the lauter tun, and stop sparging when it drops below 1.010.
    Sparge water too hot. All the textbooks tell you to heat sparge water no hotter than 168-170°F (76°C) to avoid tannin extraction, but in practice, what matters is the temperature of the grain bed itself. So if your mash regimen includes a mashout step followed by a continuous sparge, then definitely take a look at the temperature of your sparge water. But if you skip the mashout and batch sparge, the temperature of the sparge water really isn’t that critical.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: