Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: low alpha noble hops  (Read 890 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
low alpha noble hops
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:14:58 am »
So I have finally started using noble hops as I have been brewing more to style. I purchased some Tettnang that were 2.1% AA and some Hersbrucker that were 1.6% AA. Do noble hops normally have this low of an AA%? I assumed that most were in the 3-5% range. It's kind of hard to justify using 1.6% hops for bittering...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: low alpha noble hops
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:18:53 am »
So I have finally started using noble hops as I have been brewing more to style. I purchased some Tettnang that were 2.1% AA and some Hersbrucker that were 1.6% AA. Do noble hops normally have this low of an AA%? I assumed that most were in the 3-5% range. It's kind of hard to justify using 1.6% hops for bittering...
That is low for both. It was not a great year for hops in Germany, I think those numbers show that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:24:55 am »
That is low for both. It was not a great year for hops in Germany, I think those numbers show that.

Thanks. That is good to know. I think the Tettnang were 2013 and the Hersbrucker were 2014. For bittering, I think I will just use them in combination with something like perle, northern brewer, or magnum.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:03:16 am »

Thanks. That is good to know. I think the Tettnang were 2013 and the Hersbrucker were 2014. For bittering, I think I will just use them in combination with something like perle, northern brewer, or magnum.
Oh yes, definitely use a higher alpha hop for bittering. I've been using Magnum. Less vegetal matter in the wort. I got some Mittelfruh from last year that were 2.7% AA...was wondering what was up with that. 2014's noble hops haven't even come out in pellets yet - at least most of them haven't. Kinda waiting for that...

EDIT: Farmhouse has Tettnanger listed at 5% AA. They don't have Mittelfruh or Spalter yet. Hersbrucker is 2% AA.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:12:50 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:46:19 am »
I've got some 2014 Spalt on the way from Yakima Valley...we'll see where they end up.

I seem to like the character of bittering with these hops but not to the effect of having to use too much. For my kolsch I ended up using like 1.5 oz of Tettnang with the remainder Northern Brewer to get to the IBU figure I was looking for. I liked the result but can't image using more.