Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Citra/Ekuanot IPA  (Read 6240 times)

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Citra/Ekuanot IPA
« on: August 01, 2018, 01:57:03 pm »
I recently picked up someones hop stash who has recently ceased homebrewing. There is half pound of Ekuanot (actually it's 2015 batch and still called Equinox) but is unopened and from a reputable hop distributor in a vacuum sealed pack having been in a freezer since it was purchased.

I'm curious if folks have experience with Ekuanot and Citra combo who would be willing to give me some advice on usage.

I'm currently thinking of a 1:1 ratio of Ekuanot and Citra with 6 ounces total hops (3 each) at flameout and another 6 ounces total dry-hop. I like citrus and tropical fruit flavors in an IPA and am hoping this combo will provide that in spades. I'll use Magnum at first wort for bitterness shooting for 70 IBU's.

I'm trying to keep the final product more west coast IPA style, so will use little if any crystal malt, relying on 2-row, with some added flavor from using one of the Conan derived yeast strains. I've had great luck with that yeast in the past in IPA/DIPA and no problems clearing a beer up quickly when using a cold crash and gelatin combination.

Curious what folks think about the ratios and schedule for the Ekuanot and Citra combo.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Citra/Ekuanot IPA
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:56:57 pm »
It's a great combo. I would probably go with a 1:1 ratio to start with and I think your schedule looks good. My house IPA is Equinox, Citra, Comet, and a bit of Simcoe
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:06:57 pm »
Thanks, I'll post the final recipe and notes on how it comes out. It will be poured at my next club meeting for our style is the month competition, so I should get a lot of feedback.
Joel Prater

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 07:07:45 pm »
Beer was so-so. Ended up too bitter, I think next time I'll have to drop the first wort hop addition down maybe in half.
Joel Prater