Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you get chalk to dissove in brew water?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: How do you get chalk to dissove in brew water?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 11:52:56 am »
Use soda or food grade pickling lime (CaO) rather than chalk because chalk is difficult to dissolve without sufficient acidity.

+1.  I like baking soda for its ease and safety.
+2 - Unless you're starting with high-sodium water, baking soda is safe, simple and effective.
This is good info, I have been having a hell of a time getting those sticks of chalk to dissolve. I tried switching from the big sidewalk chalk to the little chalkboard sticks but those were even worse because they are more dense.
Pretty sure most of those sticks of drawing chalk are not actually the same thing as the powder you get at the hbs.
I think so, that's part of the joke.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 04:20:50 pm »
Use soda or food grade pickling lime (CaO) rather than chalk because chalk is difficult to dissolve without sufficient acidity.

+2 - Unless you're starting with high-sodium water, baking soda is safe, simple and effective.
This is good info, I have been having a hell of a time getting those sticks of chalk to dissolve. I tried switching from the big sidewalk chalk to the little chalkboard sticks but those were even worse because they are more dense.
Pretty sure most of those sticks of drawing chalk are not actually the same thing as the powder you get at the hbs.
Ah my irony deficiency is showing
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 04:50:26 pm »

As is my winky face deficiency.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 09:25:12 pm »

My well water is irony.  I'd be glad to share.  :D
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.