Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apple Juice as Hot Liquor?  (Read 3390 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Apple Juice as Hot Liquor?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 06:25:53 am »
The boiling removes some of the apple aromatics and flavor so you might consider some apple concentrate after fermentation has finished to bump up apple flavor if needed.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 08:00:04 am »
Seems like juice in the mash could screw up your mash pH, but that wouldn't be a worry as sparge water.
Yes, I didn't mean in the mash. I think I would do the mash on the thick side and sparge with cider.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 08:00:33 am »
The boiling removes some of the apple aromatics and flavor so you might consider some apple concentrate after fermentation has finished to bump up apple flavor if needed.
I think I would use the cider syrup here.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 09:07:33 am »
I think these are all great ideas. In good apple years I often end up with 15-30 gallons of cider. Last year sucked which generally means this will be a good year unless we get a killing frost while apple trees are blooming. Usually we use all of it to make cyser and hard cider. I might try using some take the wort and some added late. I have a friend who has a business thatakes both cider and cider syrup and he gives me a lot of cider syrup so that might go in the mix too. I'll definitely use pectic enzyme.

all my apple trees are blossom bombs this year..should be good.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 10:18:11 am »
Seems like juice in the mash could screw up your mash pH, but that wouldn't be a worry as sparge water.
Yes, I didn't mean in the mash. I think I would do the mash on the thick side and sparge with cider.
That sounds like a good idea. Remember that sugars in the cider will be completely fermentable, so you might want to mash a little higher.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 10:58:15 am »
That sounds like a good idea. Remember that sugars in the cider will be completely fermentable, so you might want to mash a little higher.
True, and a fair amount of specialty malts that will give body and sweetness.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 01:28:53 pm »
Keith and I have bumped into each other previously on this topic...

I've been making a smoked apple ale for years as well.  This year I decided that I don't really like the smoke too much so I'll delete that from my recipe as a personal preference.  I basically make a small 2-gallon BIAB batch of beer, then warm up a gallon of cider on the side to about 160-170 F for 15 minutes to sanitize and add at the very end of the boil, to make a total of 3 gallons apple ale.  It's quite delicious.  Tart with just a hint of apple, not in your face appley, but pleasant.  I heat my cider but don't boil it, and this helps prevent the cloudiness you would get otherwise.

Recipe:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71478&p=662452&hilit=harvest+apple#p662452

Shameless self-promotion and resurrection of an old thread, in time for anyone who might be interested in brewing this beer for this lovely fall season....

The above recipe scored Second Best of Show at the Brixie's Brixtoberfest this past weekend out of 183 entries.  Yay.

http://brixies.bobbo.net/brixtoberfest/
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 01:45:34 pm »
Actually, Dave I was just thinking of searching for this thread. We'll be swimming in cider this year (HUGE apple year) so in addition to cider and cyser, I have been thinking of apple ale.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 01:48:29 pm »
I still maintain that less or zero smoked malt be used, unless you're positive you'll like it.  Personally I don't like it, but apparently there are other people out there who do like it!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 01:53:23 pm »
I still maintain that less or zero smoked malt be used, unless you're positive you'll like it.  Personally I don't like it, but apparently there are other people out there who do like it!
I generally like smoky flavors but probably won't go to the trouble of buying smoked malt or smoking it myself the first time around.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 07:44:32 pm »
Congrats, Dave.  I spoke with some of the judges in that category (I had a different set of categories) and they were raving - stiff competition, too!

I judged the winner in the German Pils category (not the BOS round) that won the BOS, so I know yours had to be good as the other judges stated.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:50:08 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"