Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Souring Advice on Fruit Saison  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
Souring Advice on Fruit Saison
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:47:43 pm »
Looking for some advice on a new experiment we're working on.

Recipe: SMASH GALAXY

12 lbs Rahr Pale Ale
1 OZ 13 % AA FWH
1 OZ 15 % AA 1O MIN
1 OZ 15 % AA 5 MIN
2 OZ 15% AA FO W/ 10 MIN WP

YEAST: GigaYeast Saison 2

73% Eff - 1.062 OG

Fruits: local fresh harvest Loquats - de-pitted and i froze them w/ the skins on. Going to add 1 lb per gallon.

Fermenting now but really looking for advice on what to add in a secondary for sourness w/ the fruits?
We have access to GigaYeast Laco, Wyeast Roselare Blend, Wyeast Brett C.

What FG should i be looking for to have some sugar left for the second pitch or will the fruit provide enough to get it going again?

We're going to rack 1 gallon off into secondary for the experiment and the base beer with then be kegged.

Thanks!

Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Souring Advice on Fruit Saison
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:08:03 pm »
Wyeast lactose won't do much at that level of IBU. It will take pedio to get much sour. You get both in roselare. How sour do you want it?

• Assistant Brewer
    • Black Sands
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 03:46:45 pm »
i'm looking for some tartness not super sour... possible to achieve that maybe from the fruit along w/ the Roselare?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 04:39:03 pm »
Id say yes, but pedio will be doing all the heavy lifting. Then the bret will have some cleaning up to do. So you're looking at a few months for this beer to be all done. That should be expected though.

So, you're going to just pull a gallon of your saison and play around with it, right? If so, I think I would just purge the secondary with CO2, rack my beer onto the fruit, pitch the roselare straight from the pack. Airlock till it quits then bung it and let it ride for several months.

• Assistant Brewer
    • Black Sands
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:57:58 pm »
after reading more actually going to use the Brett C. b/c i think it will lend better to the galaxy and loquat fruits.

but yes on the 1 gal rack directly onto the fruit and i'll pitch at the same time and let is ride for a while until desired flavors develop.

thanks for the advice!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 05:22:41 pm »
It will be fun and interesting and probably will turn out quite tasty. When it's all done try to drink it over time so you can see what age does to it.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 06:11:00 am »
+1 Roselare blend. Ferment primary and make sure it's all done and clean. Then secondary with fruit and blend, and wait... Also, some French oak could be nice. You want good fruit/Brett/sour saisons, look into Logsdon Brewing in My. Hood, OR.
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 07:37:59 am »
+1 Roselare blend. Ferment primary and make sure it's all done and clean. Then secondary with fruit and blend, and wait... Also, some French oak could be nice. You want good fruit/Brett/sour saisons, look into Logsdon Brewing in My. Hood, OR.
Ive done that and it works good for a medium tartness. Trouble is, he is already fermenting on saison yeast I think. So he's doing a true secondary fermentation on the fruit. I think it will turn out. There's so many ways to go about sour beer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 12:24:38 pm »
Brett by itself won't make that beer sour, just dry and funky. You might get to a happy level of sourness by letting the beer dry out from the saison yeast with the addition of the sugar from the fruit.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
    • Black Sands
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 11:52:36 am »
thanks for all the advice. i took a sample of the beer yesterday but did not test FG. Taste and aroma are perfect. Lots of esters and some apricot/tropical flavors/aroma from the Galaxy. I have the fruit ready so i think i'm going to rack it over this weekend.

i'm going to do 1 gallon w/ the loquat fruit and the brett and another gallon with just the brett or just the roselare and no fruit then keg the other 3 gallons.

if i can remember i will post some notes once the beers have had some time to develop.

• Assistant Brewer
    • Black Sands
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 11:32:46 am »
Update:

Transfered the beer yesterday.

1 gallon onto 1 lb of fruit and pitched 1/2 a pack of Brett C - already frementing by this morning
1 gallon w/ other 1/2 of Brett C not fermenting yet - might not ferment at all as the FG was under 1.010