Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New brewer  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Captain Jack

• 1st Kit
New brewer
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:46:40 pm »
So i am currently fermenting my first batch I've made so i am very new to brewing. I was looking for suggestions for kits I can find online or my local brew shop (Brew and Grow). My first kit was a gift and was from Brooklyn Brew Shop which made a beyond blonde and was an all grain. I am trying to learn as much as i can so any suggestions will be great, Thanks!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: New brewer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 07:44:58 am »
Welcome Captain!
If you have a good local home brew store (often referred to here as LHBS) your in luck. Talk to them about what kind of beer you like and they will hook you up. Ask if they think the yeast that comes with the kit is the best or if they have a suggestion for an upgrade. Also, I remember that when I started with kits every one had a 5 oz package of priming sugar. That may not be the appropriate amount for your style so use an online priming sugar calculator. Other things to pay attention to:
1.Take sanitation seriously
2. Find a way (you can search this forum) to control fermentation temperatures and for most styles go on the very low end of recommended temps.
3. Don't rack your beer into a secondary fermenter unless you are dry hopping, adding fruit, or aging for months
4. Don't bottle or keg until the beer is done fermenting. To make sure take two or three gravity readings a couple days apart once the fermentation appears done: they should be exactly the same. Also, even when beer is done fermenting yeast is still cleaning up by-products of fermentation, making your beer even yummier. Err on the side of leaving longer. It can stay in the primary for weeks and weeks.
5. Leave plenty of head space or use a blow off tube during fermentation.
6. Relax, it beer, this is fun.
7. Get two fermenters so if you make your first batch Saturday you can make the second batch Sunday. :) Not until you get a whole bunch of beer ready to drink is patience truly possible.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:47:11 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:48:06 am »
Welcome Captain!
If you have a good local home brew store (often referred to here as LHBS) your in luck. Talk to them about what kind of beer you like and they will hook you up. Ask if they think the yeast that comes with the kit is the best or if they have a suggestion for an upgrade. Also, I remember that when I started with kits every one had a 5 oz package of priming sugar. That may not be the appropriate amount for your style so use an online priming sugar calculator. Other things to pay attention to:
2. Find a way (you can search this forum) to control fermentation temperatures and for most styles go on the very low end of recommended temps.
3. Don't rack your beer into a secondary fermenter unless you are dry hopping, adding fruit, or aging for months
4. Don't bottle or keg until the beer is done fermenting. To make sure take two or three gravity readings a couple days apart once the fermentation appears done: they should be exactly the same. Also, even when beer is done fermenting yeast is still cleaning up by-products of fermentation, making your beer even yummier. Err on the side of leaving longer. It can stay in the primary for weeks and weeks.
7. Get two fermenters so if you make your first batch Saturday you can make the second batch Sunday. :) Not until you get a whole bunch of beer ready to drink is patience truly possible.

^^^^  Great advice.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:52:34 am »
Welcome Captain!

^^^^  Great advice.
Hmnn, where did I learn most of that?  8)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:31:32 am »
Is your equipment kit from Brooklyn a one gallon setup? If so then you might have limited opportunities to locate kits pre-built for that size. I know Brooklyn makes several and some of the larger homebrew shops have some available on their websites. Your local shop may carry some or be able to put something together for you.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing