Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RO sparge water  (Read 5089 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: RO sparge water
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 10:52:15 am »
I had an unfortunate client that called me in too late who had this problem with their brewing water and the resulting beers came out very acidic. With nearly 300 bbls of acidic beer that they ultimately had to waste, the economic impact was the end for that brewery.

They could have tossed it in some barrels with brett and sold it at a premium.  :-[
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:29 am »
I had an unfortunate client that called me in too late who had this problem with their brewing water and the resulting beers came out very acidic. With nearly 300 bbls of acidic beer that they ultimately had to waste, the economic impact was the end for that brewery.

They could have tossed it in some barrels with brett and sold it at a premium.  :-[

I saw a picture from Dark Lord Day.
A guy had 2 10 gallon Igloo coolers in front of him.
One said Free Water.
The Second said "barrel aged water -$10"

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 12:42:59 pm »

Wow, that's pretty awful. There was a well publicized brewery closing in the last month or so - any chance that's  the one ?
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »
I like to measure out my water the night before brewing to save time and was wondering if I can add my salt additions to my mash and sparge water the night before with no ill effects?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2015, 02:32:21 pm »

Wow, that's pretty awful. There was a well publicized brewery closing in the last month or so - any chance that's  the one ?

Nope. Although John Palmer and I visited that brewery about a year and a half ago and found they had water related problems with their beer too.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 09:21:29 pm »
Martin,
Earlier in this thread you mentioned "good RO water".  But what is "good"?  I get RO water from the machine at Wally-mart and check it each time with a cheap pen TDS meter to make sure the machine ain't broke.  The readings are always 14-22 TDS.  I think that's good.  But is it important to know what's in that 14-22 TDS or can I ignore something that small?  Thanks.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 05:36:26 am »
Martin,
Earlier in this thread you mentioned "good RO water".  But what is "good"?  I get RO water from the machine at Wally-mart and check it each time with a cheap pen TDS meter to make sure the machine ain't broke.  The readings are always 14-22 TDS.  I think that's good.  But is it important to know what's in that 14-22 TDS or can I ignore something that small?  Thanks.

my RO reads between 9-13 on TDS. 14-22 would still be negligible contribution-probably mostly chloride and sodium contribution would be my assumption without testing it.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 05:44:47 am »
I believe I've read (maybe from Martin) that RO water should definitely be under 50ppm TDS. I've never found any from a machine (yet) any higher than 25ppm, usually more like 14-20ish.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 05:57:02 am »
One machine I buy from has been reading 3 ppm TDS with my meter, it is $.44/gallon. Another has been reading around 45 ppm TDS, it is $.27 a gallon. The first is on a water system that uses Lake Huron water as the source, the second is sourced from wells with high mineral content and may not be maintained as often. The first source is used for lagers, the second for ales.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 06:36:16 am »
Low is relative. I have suggested that 50 ppm TDS is an appropriate level at which you start to worry about RO quality. As mentioned above, the typical RO machine is going to produce much better quality than 50 ppm, so that value would be significantly out of range.

Now let's look at what that 50 ppm TDS might mean in actual ionic levels: maybe 12 ppm Ca and ppm HCO3 or 14 ppm Na and 36 ppm HCO3. As you can see, these are very lot concentrations. If you start including more ions, then the totals of each will fall even farther. So these are still teeny levels that shouldn't destroy your brewing, but still signal impending problems with the machine.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks