Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dryness and ABV  (Read 1292 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Dryness and ABV
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:06:18 pm »
I've mashed the past couple of beers around 152 or so in an effort to get a drier pale ale. I've also seen these beers with pretty low FG's.

Is a lower FG more related to mash temp's or better efficiency? The reason I ask is because without knowing my average efficiency at this point, I'm considering bumping up the grain bill to get a slightly higher ABV instead of relying on a lower FG and therefore higher ABV.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Dryness and ABV
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »
Justin, it should e more related to mash temps, yeast strain, and fermentation temperatures. For higher ABV, you could mash at 148 with more grain for a slightly higher FG, yet also higher ABV. By the way, what kind of FG are you finishing at?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 08:23:41 pm »
By the way, what kind of FG are you finishing at?

As an example my last beer finished at 1.003 (1.050 OG). Ended up with a 6% beer on a planned 5% beer. Not a huge problem, but am just curious if I can assume a higher ABV with continued low FG.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:08:53 pm »
Yes, what yeast are you using to get 94% attenuation? I regularly get 78-81 with Chico,  but nowhere near that
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 04:12:18 am »
So far it's just been WLP 001.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 05:05:34 am »
Are you using any type of simple sugar? Very little specialty grains? Do you calibrate your hydrometer?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 05:14:15 am »
yeah 93%ADT and 6.2% for wlp001 seems crazy.... does the beer have any funny tastes or smells?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 05:16:08 am »
Justin, it should e more related to mash temps, yeast strain, and fermentation temperatures. For higher ABV, you could mash at 148 with more grain for a slightly higher FG, yet also higher ABV. By the way, what kind of FG are you finishing at?
Frank I think you wrote that wrong. A lower mash temp is supposed to make a more attenuative wort and a lower FG. Mashing higher is supposed to lead to a higher fg. This is still the accepted knowledge although exactly how much it matters is being challenged.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 06:10:54 am »
yeah 93%ADT and 6.2% for wlp001 seems crazy.... does the beer have any funny tastes or smells?
+2 - That's lower than most of my saisons get. Either it's infected or your hydrometer is off. I can't see Chico getting that low on its own.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 06:20:13 am »
Frank I think you wrote that wrong. A lower mash temp is supposed to make a more attenuative wort and a lower FG. Mashing higher is supposed to lead to a higher fg. This is still the accepted knowledge although exactly how much it matters is being challenged.
No, I just misunderstood his goal. I thought his goal was higher ABV, yet still dry with a low FG. Lower mash temp should yield lower FG, but not down to where he is  already at...
Edit just cause its early
Frank L.