Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where Should I Stop on I-87?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
  • Liberal Elitist
    • Brick Pig
Where Should I Stop on I-87?
« on: May 08, 2015, 02:12:53 pm »
My wife and I will be heading to the Solid Sound festival toward the end of June. I see on the AHA Member Benefits map that I will be passing very close to Keegan Ales in Kingston, NY as well as C.H. Evans / Albany Pump Station. Not sure how much time I will have to spare, but I hope to stop by at least one of these places on my way up and/or back down. Anyone have an opinion about which I should choose if I can't do both? Any place(s) that DON'T offer AHA benefits, but are worth a visit anyway?

Also, I'll be staying in Bennington, VT, and the festival itself is in North Adams, MA. Looks like everything on the benefits map is at least an hour from either of those locations. Anything near either of these places that I should check out while I'm there?

Thanks.
--Monty

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
Re: Where Should I Stop on I-87?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:05:04 pm »
I'd recommend Peekskill Brewing Company in Peekskill. It's not right off 87, you'd have to cross the river probably at Bear Mountain, but it's not too far. Their beer is tasty and they have some good food also.

You could also check out Gilded Otter in New Paltz, which has an exit off 87 (18 I believe).

It's funny, that whole area is where I grew up but most of the breweries/brew pubs have sprang up way after I left.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 05:31:18 am »
I was going to suggest checking out Mass Moca but I bet that's where the festival is, I have a vague memory they have one there. I haven't been that way in awhile and don't remember any brewpubs / breweries but if you are looking for something to do the Clark Institute is another cool museum nearby. While in VT see if you can score some Heady Topper.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:00 am »
The Guilded Otter in New Paltz is nice brew pub in the town of New Paltz. New Paltz is small college town that has a hippie/ 60's feel to it. My son went to college there.
I've been the Albany Pump Staion and highly recommend it. I think it's a little out of your way if you are  headed to the Berkshires.

Mass Moca is a great art museum.

The town of Beacon is also an up and coming small town with some good places to eat.. It's on other side of the Hudson where I-84 and I- 87 intersect.
The museum known as Dia Beacon is awesome if you like contemporary art.
I don't know about beer places in Beacon.

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
  • Liberal Elitist
    • Brick Pig
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 08:22:16 pm »
Thanks for the recs so far. I'm going to make a list & see what comes of it. Yes, Pete B, the fest is at Mass Moca.
--Monty