Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what is "total batch sparge mash volume"  (Read 1271 times)

Offline mpkenna3

• 1st Kit
what is "total batch sparge mash volume"
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:21:44 am »
this term is from John Palmer's "how to brew" from the section "getting the wort out." there is a series of calculations to help you find volume of water for mash, etc.

the term "total batch sparge volume" is confusing to me. Can someone elaborate on this?

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
Re: what is "total batch sparge mash volume"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 04:44:04 pm »
is this referring to brew in a bag?

strike water volume is 1.5 to 2 qts of water per lb of grain

then if you are batch sparging you'll use somewhere b/t 3.5 or 4.5 gallons of water for the sparge. Many factors can change how much you'll need for sparge it depends...

ideally after the end of your sparge you should have around 6.5 or so gallons in your kettle for the boil depending on the recipe.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:53:01 am »
this term is from John Palmer's "how to brew" from the section "getting the wort out." there is a series of calculations to help you find volume of water for mash, etc.

the term "total batch sparge volume" is confusing to me. Can someone elaborate on this?
Someone is borrowing my copy of HtB so I don't have the context but since "mash" is the word closest to "volume" I would say mash is modifying the word volume and "total batch sparge" is modifying "mash volume". So assuming Palmer uses proper grammar or has a competent editor this means "total mash volume while batch sparging" Despite being grammatically correct it is an unfortunate way to describe one of your simplest calculations. Throwing the words total and sparge in a phrase to describe mash volume is indeed confusing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:32:45 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:59:38 am »

Someone is borrowing my copy of HtB so I don't have the context but since "mash" is the word closest to "volume" I would say mash is modifying the word volume and "total batch sparge" is modifying "mash volume". So assoming Palmer uses proper grammar or has a competent editor this means "total mash volume while batch sparging" Despite being grammatically correct it is an unfortunate way to describe one of your simplest calculations. Throwing the word total and sparge in a phrase to describe mash volume is indeed confusing.
Btw if I'm right the calculation should be the weight of the grain multiplied by a number like,for instance, 1.5.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:02:33 am »
Also, since you posted this question I assume you are learning to batch sparge. While How to Brew is unquestionably a good resource I also would like to point you to Denny Conn's website: http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
Denny is a moderator and frequent poster on this forum as well as author of a couple home brewing books and an advocate of batch sparging. The website that I linked to guides you through your first batch sparge in a very straightforward way.

Offline Chino Brews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:12:10 pm »
I assume this is from the new edition, as the first edition does not contain that term based on my search of it.

Batch sparging is, after draining off the first runnings as fast as you want from the mash after the mash is complete, adding the whole sparge volume to the now-"dry" mash in one "batch". You mix this up, let sit for a few minutes to settle, vorlauf/recirculate until you get clear wort if you want to, and then drain the second runnings as fast as you want. This is the single batch sparge technique.

The double batch batch sparge technique would have you add another charge of sparge water to the mash and repeat.

So I guess that "total batch sparge volume" is the sum of the first sparge amount plus the (optional) second sparge amount.

If we had more context, we could give you a better idea.
If how I brew makes you mad or somehow ruins home brewing for you, maybe you need a less stressful hobby than making and drinking beer! :D