Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry hop during temp ramp down  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
dry hop during temp ramp down
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:11:49 pm »
I dry hopped a lager after letting it rise to 62F for a couple of days. Since adding the hops, I have been ramping the temp back down and am at 53F on day 4. Planning to get it to 48F by Saturday then kegging. Should I expect any less aroma by following this procedure? Not concerned, just curious.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: dry hop during temp ramp down
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 01:22:33 pm »
interesting topic . i've done it so many ways now, and cant seem to perceive anything different conclusively. ive dry hoppped just like you outlined, and i've done it exclusively in the keg and at cold temps.

some swear dry hop warm is the way, others not so much. i just end up doing what works for my schedule at the time, and haven't been disappointed any of the ways.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »
I do keg hop from time to time with good results so I guess I haven't noticed any difference with temp. I didn't really think of that.

oops...meant to post this in 'general brewing'...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:25:18 pm »
95% of the time I dry hop cold.  Works fine for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:30:39 pm »
The more time I spend on this forum and reading various brewing articles, the more I truly believe there are A LOT of ways to make good beer. While there are some topics that have less wiggle room (sanitation, fermentation control), the other stuff...not so much.

I guess that's a good thing though!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 02:41:03 pm »
Not sure why I thought the changing temp might cause some sort of difference...

For the first time I am actually hoping for less of an impact from the dry hops and hoping I didn't overdo it with 30g in a light colored lager. I don't dry hop enough with smaller amounts to know the threshold between noticeable and not although that is probably heavily reliant on the hop type. I used sterling and crystal for the first time so I have no experience with them whatsoever.

I have dry hopped with 1/2 - 3/4 oz of Amarillo and Citra separately without any noticeable impact although my judgment was toward aroma and not flavor back then. At smaller amounts, I suppose the aroma is actually affecting the perception of flavor more.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:45:58 pm by goschman »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 03:20:11 pm »
The more time I spend on this forum and reading various brewing articles, the more I truly believe there are A LOT of ways to make good beer. While there are some topics that have less wiggle room (sanitation, fermentation control), the other stuff...not so much.

This is your ah ha moment! There are many ways to do many things. Unless a brewer is looking to exactly duplicate some specific character, it usually comes down to what works for you. The best thing to keep in mind is WHAT you want to do and WHY or HOW an ingredient or process will do that. For example, if you dont want diacetyle (thats the what part) then the WHY and HOW can be found in several ways. Get rid of pedio, dont prematurely take the beer off the yeast, raise the temp toward the end, etc etc. You figure that out on your own based on your situation. Before having the ah ha moment, a new brewer might just find a quick answer, like doing a D Rest, and that doesn't work... and they get frustrated...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »

Grasshopper, you have grasped the essence....this is exactly why Drew and I wrote one book, and are currently at work on another, that don't tell you how to brew.  We offer you options and let you choose what works. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 03:31:03 pm »
Well guys, I suppose I have no further comments or questions. It's been a pleasure  :'(

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 03:33:21 pm »
Well guys, I suppose I have no further comments or questions. It's been a pleasure  :'(

Not now, but you will...we all do!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:52:47 pm »
I have been brewing for about 6 years and I am still trying to figure out which ingredients I prefer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 04:52:37 pm »
I have been brewing for about 6 years and I am still trying to figure out which ingredients I prefer.

I've been brewing for 17 years and I'm maybe half way there.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 05:01:59 pm »

I started over 12 years ago and I've basically given up the search for preferences. I go through phases.