Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry hop newbie help  (Read 925 times)

Offline akaRedbeard

• 1st Kit
dry hop newbie help
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:53:39 pm »
I am going to be brewing an imperial white ipa tomorrow and planned on dry hopping with 2oz citra, but I could only get pellets. First, is dry hopping with pellets a viable option? And second if that is not a good idea, what would one recommend to get a similar result? FWH with same weight?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: dry hop newbie help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »
I hop exclusively with pellets, including dry hops. Lots of brewers do, no worries.
Jon H.

Offline akaRedbeard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 05:07:05 pm »
Good to know! Thanks for the feedback

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 05:32:36 pm »
Pellet hops are fine, but two oz. of citra might be a bit much for a white IPA. What's the gravity and IBUs of the  beer?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline akaRedbeard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 05:55:43 pm »
I am going for an imperial-ish type of hop presence so its pretty heavily hopped. I have 1.063 sg with 80 ibu. I like really hoppy beers but ive never made one with this much so I will listen to feedback

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 06:01:02 pm »
I am going for an imperial-ish type of hop presence so its pretty heavily hopped. I have 1.063 sg with 80 ibu. I like really hoppy beers but ive never made one with this much so I will listen to feedback

For what you describe, 2 oz isn't too much by any means IMO. I like hoppy beers too, and I'll dry hop most American styles from 2-3 oz for APA  to  5-6 oz for AIPA. More for IIPAs, though I don't brew those much anymore. No worries.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 06:05:03 pm »

For what you describe, 2 oz isn't too much by any means IMO. I like hoppy beers too, and I'll dry hop most American styles from 2-3 oz for APA  to  5-6 oz for AIPA. More for IIPAs, though I don't brew those much anymore. No worries.

Yeah, in that beer, you're probably okay. When I think of white IPA, I think of it as being a lighter IPA. It will be very grapefruity.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'