Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apricot Wheat to sour  (Read 1041 times)

Offline blancaster

• 1st Kit
Apricot Wheat to sour
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:06:03 am »
I have a apricot wheat ale recipe that I have brewed time and time again with great success... Until now.... I always flavor my beer at time of kegging with an apricot extract I buy from an online source.  With this source I am able to add the entire 4oz bottle to a 5 gallon keg and it is perfect.  Well a few weeks ago I was ordering some supplies from another online site and noticed that they sold apricot extract as well.  We brewed a batch and at the time of kegging I poured in the entire bottle of this new kind of extract.... Remember, I had never had an issue before... Omg big mistake!!!  This extract is very overpowering and sour to the point it makes your teeth hurt!  We have an event that I planned on donating this keg to this coming weekend.  I suppose I could serve it as a sour, but I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on how to salvage this keg!!

Offline BrewingReveries

• 1st Kit
Re: Apricot Wheat to sour
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 01:19:12 pm »
You could try buying a wheat beer and mix the sour beer with it.  If blending it makes it magically delicious, you can brew another batch and mix em.  If it barely helps or if it takes much more than 50% of new beer to make it taste ok then it may not be worth it.  And it definitely wouldn't be ready by this weekend.  Depends on how much time, energy and money you want to put in to try to salvage it. I'd probably call it a learning experience and dump it if it were mine.

Offline ramosSD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 06:28:07 pm »
Maybe try to back-sweeten with dextrose or DME? That method is usually used for beers that turn out too dry. It might work to counteract the sourness. Whatever method you use, test it out at on a smaller scale (pint glass) before you dose the entire keg.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 07:40:23 am »
You'll have to get creative with remedies.

I'd try dosing some in a glass with calcium and see if you can buffer the acidity without ruining the flavor.

Similarly, try dosing some beer in a glass with stevia and see if that unfermentable sweetener can balance out the perception of acidity. If you are going to sweetener route you will need to use a sugar source that is perceptively sweet but won't ferment unless you know without a doubt that the keg will be kept cool at all times.

If you know other homebrewers in the area then you might check around and see if somebody has a keg of something more neutral you could blend with your apricot beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing