Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hop shot  (Read 1713 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
hop shot
« on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:31 pm »
Hop Shot seems to be in some recipes for IPA's. Northern Brewer would not disclose what hops are used in this resin. Anyone happen to know?

BV

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: hop shot
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:32:00 pm »
Not sure that they specify since the idea is just extra hop oils for bittering without the potential for vegetal flavors from the hop mass.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 03:10:00 pm »
I got mine from Yakima Valley and they told theirs are 100% Apollo

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:45:15 pm »
I have used hop shots and the beer has turned out great and I really don't know much of what hops make them up but one thing I do know is as much as you may be compelled to taste it.. Don't do it.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 02:00:10 pm »
^This^

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 04:07:46 pm »
I have used hop shots and the beer has turned out great and I really don't know much of what hops make them up but one thing I do know is as much as you may be compelled to taste it.. Don't do it.

Heh, heh.....  :o

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:36:25 pm »
Yep... I'm still tasting it lol
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 06:59:24 pm »
Yep, been there.....once.  Brewed a Pliny clone using hop shot @ 60, and got the bright idea to sample a little. I think it penetrates to the cellular level.   ;D
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 08:26:53 pm »
Yep, been there.....once.  Brewed a Pliny clone using hop shot @ 60, and got the bright idea to sample a little. I think it penetrates to the cellular level.   ;D
Yeah, but it's kind of like my doc told me when I got RK a long time ago. "I'm going to tell you not to rub your eyes when you wake up in the morning, but you're not going to listen to me and you'll do it once.  Once."

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 08:32:24 pm »
Yeah, but it's kind of like my doc told me when I got RK a long time ago. "I'm going to tell you not to rub your eyes when you wake up in the morning, but you're not going to listen to me and you'll do it once.  Once."

Yep, experience is definitely the best teacher. Funny how the negative lesson sticks in your mind the longest. ;)
Jon H.