Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Dogs  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brew Dogs
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 09:22:14 am »
Man I can't imagine enjoying most of the beers that they brew on that show...especially the anti-Reinheitsgebot beer that used cucumber juice instead of water that they brewed with Greg Koch. I find the show entertaining but only because I love beer so much.
I've actually tried one of them (the NOLA zombie beer).  It was drinkable in small amounts, but not something I'd want a pint of.  The show is pretty much pure entertainment, and it's a fun experience.  There's a lot that goes on that gets cut, though.  I know the beer that I tried was not the one they brewed onscreen.  They had major issues with the water filtration system, so they wound up just brewing the batch they served on the brewery pilot system.

I kind of assumed that the beers that they serve are not actually the beers that they show them brewing. Their carelessness especially when it comes to chilling the wort seems like it could cause major issues in the beers. On more than one occasion I have seen them pitch yeast into wort that is still steaming.

They don't seem to measure ingredients either and just do it by 'feel' especially with hops, spices, etc. I don't really care but it kind of sends the message that you can just throw a bunch of crap together and make a great beer.

If they focused a bit more on recipe formulation and the technical things I would like it a lot more but then it would turn off the average viewer who just wants to see them crack jokes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:25:48 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 09:39:38 am »
I kind of assumed that the beers that they serve are not actually the beers that they show them brewing. Their carelessness especially when it comes to chilling the wort seems like it could cause major issues in the beers. On more than one occasion I have seen them pitch yeast into wort that is still steaming.

They don't seem to measure ingredients either and just do it by 'feel' especially with hops, spices, etc. I don't really care but it kind of sends the message that you can just throw a bunch of crap together and make a great beer.

If they focused a bit more on recipe formulation and the technical things I would like it a lot more but then it would turn off the average viewer who just wants to see them crack jokes.

Yeah, I expect that's far from the first time.  The amount of malt they show always looks like it's exactly that, for show.  They never appear to have enough.  I think if they wound up being more realistic about the process, they might wind up like Calagione's show and get cancelled.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 03:55:19 pm »
OK, I'll shut up about this show shortly. I will say that S2, Episode 10 focuses on LA, homebrewing, and the Maltose Falcons. In particular homebrewers Dana Cordes and Andy Ziskin. Maybe those two are lurking around here somewhere. Just watch it already.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:08:39 pm by flbrewer »

Offline dcordes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:55:45 pm »
OK, I'll shut up about this show shortly. I will say that S2, Episode 10 focuses on LA, homebrewing, and the Maltose Falcons. In particular homebrewers Dana Cordes and Andy Ziskin. Maybe those two are lurking around here somewhere. Just watch it already.

Ask and you shall receive...

I can tell you that the beers served in the tasting party segments of the show are not the beers brewed in the action segments.

Except for our L.A. episode.  Those were the exact beers that we brewed on TV, fermented at home and brought to Golden Road for the tasting/judgement.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 04:57:13 pm »
The joys of the internet. :)
Ask and you shall receive...
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----