Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When should I add Mount Hood Hops?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline backflip9960

• 1st Kit
When should I add Mount Hood Hops?
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:00:57 pm »
Howdy!

I am doing my first BIAB, and have yet, another question  :D

I have an oz. of Mount Hood Hops in a basic Blonde Ale recipe.  When, and how long should I add them?

Thanks in advance!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: When should I add Mount Hood Hops?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:44:13 pm »
Can you get another ounce or two? I had good luck with a half ounce of magnum at 60 and two of mt hood at ten. A great blonde is Cape Kiwanda. Rumor is they only hop it at whirlpool with, I think Willamette, but mt hood would be great too. I've been wanting to try that technique in a blonde. Maybe about 4 ounces at 180° for a half hour.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:56:35 pm »
Can you get another ounce or two? I had good luck with a half ounce of magnum at 60 and two of mt hood at ten. A great blonde is Cape Kiwanda. Rumor is they only hop it at whirlpool with, I think Willamette, but mt hood would be great too. I've been wanting to try that technique in a blonde. Maybe about 4 ounces at 180° for a half hour.
They have stated that they only add Mt. Hood in the whirlpool. I use 8 oz in the whirlpool for 10 gallons. It works really well. Those are added after flame out 210 or less, you get bitterness from the higher temp, and still have flavor and aroma after a 45 minute whirlpool. Won some awards with that clone.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:14:01 pm »
Mt Hood it is. Its been a while and I couldn't remember. I think I saw it on an article on whirlpool hopping on brewer's friend.

Cape Kiwanda is a dandy blonde. Kinda funny they call it a cream ale but they enter it as a blonde. I had the honor of giving it a gold at Best of Craft this year. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 05:16:42 am »
They have stated that they only add Mt. Hood in the whirlpool. I use 8 oz in the whirlpool for 10 gallons. It works really well. Those are added after flame out 210 or less, you get bitterness from the higher temp, and still have flavor and aroma after a 45 minute whirlpool. Won some awards with that clone.

+1.  I'm brewing a Kiwanda type beer Friday, all Mt Hood whirlpool.  Great stuff !
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 05:38:07 am »
Mt Hood it is. Its been a while and I couldn't remember. I think I saw it on an article on whirlpool hopping on brewer's friend.

Cape Kiwanda is a dandy blonde. Kinda funny they call it a cream ale but they enter it as a blonde. I had the honor of giving it a gold at Best of Craft this year. Head and shoulders above the rest.

It doesn't have corn, so it would probably get dinged if entered as a cream ale. I put a little flaked maize in mine so it will do well in the cream ale category.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 06:01:55 am »

It doesn't have corn, so it would probably get dinged if entered as a cream ale. I put a little flaked maize in mine so it will do well in the cream ale category.

I do, too. I like that character in mine.
Jon H.