Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any Advice  (Read 1231 times)

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
Any Advice
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:53:17 pm »
I'm looking at transferring from the primary to a keg but Im trying to avoid getting all the settled stuff on the bottom but at the same getting the max amount of brew from the primary. So using a siphon and tube how do I filter everything else out?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Any Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:15:48 pm »
I use an auto siphon. They are about ten bucks. Works great. I also set my fermentor on a little chunk of 2x4 so it's tilted. Helps keep one side deeper. Another trick is to brew six gallon batches so you don't have to suck up goop to get a full keg.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:19:10 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:19:11 pm »
You don't filter anything out. Plan on leaving a thin layer of beer behind on the trub in the fermenter. I'd rather lose half a beer than suck up the extra sludge.

If you have a way to rest your fermenter at a slight angle for a little while before racking that may help you get an extra couple of ounces.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »
Not sure if you have chilled the fermenter, but a few days below 40F makes a huge difference for transferring clear beer.

And as other have said, don't put the siphon all the way to the bottom of the fermenter. I use an orange carboy hood and stuff the racking cane through the middle hole and start the siphon. Then push the racking cane until you just start picking up cruddy looking beer, then pull it up a touch for clear beer. If you are using a bucket, I am sure there is a similar solution with some sort of clip on the edge of the bucket.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:22:42 am »
I'm looking at transferring from the primary to a keg but Im trying to avoid getting all the settled stuff on the bottom but at the same getting the max amount of brew from the primary.

If you make your primary volume more than 5 gallons, you will not worry about getting every drop out the primary.