Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Moving fermenter  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Moving fermenter
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:46:01 pm »
At this time I do not have a fermentation chamber, mainly due to space. I just brewed a American Wheat and set the fermenter in the corner of my kitchen/dining room.  (Temp ~74*F)  Approximately 5 hours later I moved it to my basement where the temp is ~63*F.
I am curious if by moving the fermenter around is worse than not moving it.  I don't plan to move it again but we are going to have a few cooler days this week where the temp will be low 60's and then climb later to the 70's and 80's as the week progresses. (Indiana sucks).
I'm concerned it will get too cold in the basement, but I feel it is my best option to leave it where it's at.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:50:45 pm by Indy574 »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Moving fermenter
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 07:54:44 pm »
63 is fine, preferred if the temp. doesn't move around down there.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 08:06:49 pm »
I should add the temperature range on my yeast says 65-72*F. I'm a little nervous at the lower than recommend temp. I just don't want it to dip too much more than where it's at now.

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 09:29:20 pm »
What yeast were you using?

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:30:37 pm »
Omega DIPA Ale Yeast. I turned on my dehumidifier, this should bring the temp up a few degrees. My basement has field stone for walls so I have to run it to help control the dampness.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:56:02 pm »
63F is a perfectly fine starting point for most ale yeasts, especially clean, low/med-flocculating strains. Don't get too caught up on lab specs.

I would start downstairs in your basement and move upstairs just as the fermentation starts to slow down.

You could also try just wrapping a blanket around the fermentor at high krausen. If you've got a concrete basement floor, put the fermentor on a table or yoga mat when you wrap it to help keep heat in.

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 02:45:22 pm »
Keep in mind that fermentation is exothermic and is always a few degrees above ambient when active.  The cooler temp is actually about perfect.

About the only worry you have with moving a fermentor is stirring up the trub and stuff once it has settled out.  Your beer won't mind taking a walk now and then, but if you are ready to bottle, transfer out of the primary and move the secondary/bucket or what ever.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 07:32:45 pm »
I always insulate between the floor and the bucket. I also put towels around it to help buffer temp swings. It's holding steady at 64F right now. Feeling pretty good about it.